AC seal list.

Boydsdodge

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am putting an order in with RA, I thought while I was at it I would order up seals for the AC system in my 73 Imperial.
Would there be a list floating around with the sizes I need to order and how many?

I don't think it works like that. I just went through the entire 1970 parts catalogue, looking every page of the Group 24 (AC) parts. The suction and discharge hoses are all listed, the receiver, condenser, evaporator part numbers are shown, but not a single indication of the o-ring seals that I think you're looking for. There were "seals, foam" for the airbox and firewall seals, but no "size and quantity" for all the various "Freon seal", if that makes sense.

And that, I believe, is that those seals were a bulk item in the parts department, like many items were. Molding clips, oil, fasteners, common brake hardward and other consumables were just there, in bulk. At least they were at the Chrysler dealership I worked at for a year, long long ago.

So, for you, that means buying an SAE automotive AC o-ring kit, containing maybe 20 of each possible size. That's what I did. $9 at Amazon and probably at your nearby auto parts store (but make sure it's SAE!)

1691183813208.png

I am not sure of the hose seal sizes but I just picked up a box of various sizes green o-rings, that I found at the parts store.

Besides that, the rest of the gaskets and seals deal with the compressor:
- gasket kit (heads, rear suction inlet at EPR valve, front outlet).
- front seal kit, these are sold separately from my experience.
- EPR valve seal (if keeping R12) - see below

IMG_5386.JPG

IMG_5770.JPG

IMG_2791.JPG

IMG_5770.JPG

Thanks for the info. I may buy a master seal kit SAE, then what I don't use donate to my old school AC shop. They have been helpful with other projects this year.
I don't think it works like that. I just went through the entire 1970 parts catalogue, looking every page of the Group 24 (AC) parts. The suction and discharge hoses are all listed, the receiver, condenser, evaporator part numbers are shown, but not a single indication of the o-ring seals that I think you're looking for. There were "seals, foam" for the airbox and firewall seals, but no "size and quantity" for all the various "Freon seal", if that makes sense.

And that, I believe, is that those seals were a bulk item in the parts department, like many items were. Molding clips, oil, fasteners, common brake hardward and other consumables were just there, in bulk. At least they were at the Chrysler dealership I worked at for a year, long long ago.

So, for you, that means buying an SAE automotive AC o-ring kit, containing maybe 20 of each possible size. That's what I did. $9 at Amazon and probably at your nearby auto parts store (but make sure it's SAE!)

View attachment 609429
Were you able to replace all your O rings with that kit?

I am not sure of the hose seal sizes but I just picked up a box of various sizes green o-rings, that I found at the parts store.

Exactly what I had to do....chip away at finding the various seals and gaskets that are directly involved with the compressor. They're out there, but you gotta search. The hose o-rings are the easy part.

Here's the ceramic (front) crank seal kit (all the seals behind the clutch), $20-30, ordered from Auto Zone.

IMG_5177.JPG

View attachment 609427

View attachment 609428

View attachment 609430

View attachment 609431
Thats a good looking assortment of parts.
This is my first foray into AC resealing. Thanks again all for the help.

Exactly what I had to do....chip away at finding the various seals and gaskets that are directly involved with the compressor. They're out there, but you gotta search. The hose o-rings are the easy part.

Here's the ceramic (front) crank seal kit (all the seals behind the clutch), $20-30, ordered from Auto Zone.

View attachment 609432

Interesting - different p/n than the same one that I used. Looks like the one you used might have been packaged for export...?

Back