Accelarator cable?

luistito

Reaction score
How are you guys? My car came with a 383 engine.. replace it with a 440... the accelarator cable seems to get stuck sometimes when i floor it...did not have that problem with the 383...is their a cable length difference?

You didn't say what car you have. That would help.

I've compared part numbers before and I know with a 70 C body, they just used one cable for the 383 and 440. Chances are good that the cables are the same in your car too.

You can download a parts manual and look it up for your car here: MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Parts & Accessories Books
It's in the "Fuel" section.

To your problem.... If it was the wrong cable, I doubt if it would cause your problem. Look at return springs, carb sticking etc.

I agree with Big John on this one. All 8 cylinder engines use the same cable. Make sure you have the cable adjusted correctly. It should also be on an even line with the carb, ( no angles). Check your return springs, (same thing, no angles). Last but not least check the adjustment on the throttle valve linkage, a 440 is a taller engine than a 383. EVERYTHING HAS TO ADJUSTED CORRECTLY.

I've compared part numbers before and I know with a 70 C body, they just used one cable for the 383 and 440. Chances are good that the cables are the same in your car too.

You can download a parts manual and look it up for your car here: MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Parts & Accessories Books

To your problem.... If it was the wrong cable, I doubt if it would cause your problem. Look at return springs, carb sticking etc.

Thanks for your help guys..
Sorry BIG JOHN, its a 68 fury... is it possible i have the wrong accelarator cable bracke...because the plastic part that goes around the wire cable does not sit correctly on the throttle bracke.. do i make sense???

Screenshot_20170423-174641.png

linkage.jpg

I see the problem. In the yellow circle, the linkage is on the wrong side of the bellcrank. That would bind.

Simple fix. Undo and stick it in from the other side.

From the looks in the picture you also have the throttle return springs on wrong. It is very important to follow the factory diagrams when reinstalling the cables, springs, and retainers.

From the looks in the picture you also have the throttle return springs on wrong. It is very important to follow the factory diagrams when reinstalling the cables, springs, and retainers.

Thanks..but this is not my engine. Its my friends..ill let kim know. I just used it as an example

OK, we've established that your friend's setup is messed up. If I understand you right, the housing of the cable isn't being held by the clamp. Something is wrong if that is happening. More likely there's an issue with the bracket, but we can't tell by looking at someone else's mistakes.

At this point, it's best to take a pic of your own engine and post it.

OK, we've established that your friend's setup is messed up. If I understand you right, the housing of the cable isn't being held by the clamp. Something is wrong if that is happening. More likely there's an issue with the bracket, but we can't tell by looking at someone else's mistakes.

At this point, it's best to take a pic of your own engine and post it.

ok let me post the picture again. BIG JOHN metion that i have the kick down rod wrong. I get that and fixt it. Now i was looking at the accelarator cable and it apears like its missing a 1/4 of the plastic insulation wich should be sitting on the square part with the nut. Also the whole accelarator cable comming from the firewall has no slack at all. Im just going to go with LOKAR throttle cable and kickdown any of you guys are running that?? THANK YOU GUYS FOR ALL YOU'RE REPLYS

Screenshot_20170423-174641.png

The stock stuff works better, you just have to put it together correctly.

Back