Accessory ???

Dan Scully

Reaction score
Anyone know if this is 6 or 12V? Don't smoke but I like the gadget part of it.

20230619_103032.jpg
20230619_103039.jpg

Considering the "vintage" of the "Prest-O-Lite" logo, I strongly suspect it is a 6V item. From well before OEMs started to use 12V systems. Possibly from the 1940s?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

For an upscale brand as Chrysler was back then, their owners could afford to buy cigarettes. So they needed a way to light them easily, before in-car cigarette lighters were around.

These are very old accessories. Definitely 6 volt items. Check out the web -- quite a few listed, all sold but a handful. These perfectly plugged into the huge market of WWII veterans who got hooked on smokes during their service. Smoking was everywhere for decades. Heck, most of our classic cars have multiple ashtrays, but not a cup holder in sight.
These cigarette delivery systems faded from the scene as they were gimmicky, (an obvious add-on not well integrated into a car's design), hard to keep clean, and probably more distracting than just lighting up a smoke while you drove.
That said, this is a cool, fun "wonder of the past," like the "Zenith Space Command" TV remote control, conical bras, and Hula hoops, to name a few.
I say, hook it up in your car, and be on the lookout for a Highway Hi-Fi record player to install, too!
It's a great gadget. Thanks for the opportunity to check into it and to learn something new.

Its surely a "pre-Kotex smoke" device, which places it in the 1940s or before. Look at the box. An un-filtered cigarette is featured. Filter tipped cigarettes began to appear circa 1952 I think. How many folks know that the Philip Morris "cowboy smoke,' Marlborough, originally was pushed to LADIES? Yep, the first filter tipped cancer sticks were marketed to all the Rosie Riveters who copped The Habit while their boyfriends went across the waves to make the world safe for U.S. fascism instead of the central European kind.

Its surely a "pre-Kotex smoke" device, which places it in the 1940s or before. Look at the box. An un-filtered cigarette is featured. Filter tipped cigarettes began to appear circa 1952 I think. How many folks know that the Philip Morris "cowboy smoke,' Marlborough, originally was pushed to LADIES? Yep, the first filter tipped cancer sticks were marketed to all the Rosie Riveters who copped The Habit while their boyfriends went across the waves to make the world safe for U.S. fascism instead of the central European kind.
Interesting medley of assorted but unrelated thoughts and observations all intertwined in one neatly package of run-on subjects.
From 6V automobilia to central European politics. :thumbsup:

One thing that is very important to remember, Chrysler products have cigar lighters and not cigarette lighters.

Keeping it classy!

One thing that is very important to remember, Chrysler products have cigar lighters and not cigarette lighters.

Keeping it classy!

Sooo right! My Jaguar XJ6 also came equipped with Cigar Lighters, and kid leather upholstery. That ONE foray into Lucas Ignition machinery sufficed for this Son of Erin. It helps when Classy FUNCTIONS, which Mopar managed well, while Certain Other's struggled with 19th Century engineering on 20th Century machines. Ah, but the kid leather seats WERE comfy!

Interesting medley of assorted but unrelated thoughts and observations all intertwined in one neatly package of run-on subjects.
From 6V automobilia to central European politics. :thumbsup:
LSDSOC* Writing 101!

*also dubbed as "acid babble" by grrrlfriend long gone. Got my PhD at Psychotic State in this.....

Back