Advice on a torque converter?

Seedy Wags

Reaction score
Hello ladies and gentlemen,
I am interested in the forums input regarding purchase and install of a torque converter to go between my 440 dual quad and the 727 transmission.
Being a newbie, my specific question is regarding what stall speed to purchase, where to purchase and a reasonable ballpark $.
I have reasonable backyard mechanical skill. This is going into my 65 Fury III as a potential “ take it to the strip when I have to get my Yaya‘s out “ maybe some bracket racing fun and finally maybe zipping around the county after midnight! I had the engine freshened up a few years ago but that is really all I know about it. I’m not sure what cam is in it. Thank you again for your input yes I anxiously await your responses!

I have a Hughes Racing Converter 2435 its a 3500 stall speed. used it for less than 100 miles
It was too loose for my car. Went back to Hemi Street Converter. I was never gonna race my car anyway.
Incase you want one locally

Your gear ratio will be a factor here. Here's a chart from TCI
upload_2020-6-1_10-46-6.png

I have a Hughes Racing Converter 2435 its a 3500 stall speed. used it for less than 100 miles
It was too loose for my car. Went back to Hemi Street Converter. I was never gonna race my car anyway.
Incase you want one locally
Where are you located?? What do you mean by “ too loose? I am in Western NY. I like your wagon too!!

Had to get the RPM's up near the stall range to get the car moving, thats what I didnt understand when I grabbed it. Which is fine if your racing and blasting around but I drive my wagon almost everyday and It wasnt working for me.
Im on LI in Nassau county

You cam choice is also a factor, you need to match the stall speed to the torque range of the cam. On the spec sheet for the cam, there is a set of numbers showing the low end and top end for the cam. You want the stall speed to be slightly above the low end for the cam or you will have a big dead spot on the low end with the engine potentially stalling out. Your typical street cam will need a stall speed of about 2500 rpms. A full on race came will typically be closer to 3500 rpms or higher. As noted the gear ratios are also a factor in getting a good launch. A gear ratio matched to the peak torque range of the cam on a 1/4 mile track is going to be pretty much useless on the street.
Dave

Back