Always check your rag joint! And how do it seperate this joint??

Oz Sport Fury

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've finally managed to get my old steering box out of my 72 Newport, after a lot of swearing and tapping out both roll pins and using levers it's finally free of the column connection.

I have a new Bergman Jeep box and his kit to go in.

During the removal of headers and starter we found the rag joint inside the heat shield was torn and shot to bits!!

I ordered a new one from Rockauto.com and it's the new updated moulded rubber looking model, nice and firm so the steering should be like a modern car when done... fingers crossed

My question is, between the circular rag joint and the splined connection on the steering box is a weird shaped bell looking joint that's packed with grease, how do I separate this as I wanted to use the new one in the Bergman kit?

Here's some pics of the rag joint and bell joint.

Cheers!

PXL_20230925_092133366.jpg
PXL_20230925_092139656.jpg
PXL_20230925_092142567.jpg
PXL_20230925_092202179.jpg

The steering coupler (sliding u joint in last pic) should just pull apart, if not there is a very small pin to stop it from falling a part. Take a small flat pry bar and push it up flush with the coupler housing, dont remove it completely, just enough to slide coupler apart. On Bergmans coupler you may need to file the powder coating from the insides to get the slider blocks to fit nice. Not to much, just enough to slide in smooth, use plenty of chassis grease.

IMG_9304.jpeg

IMG_9303.jpeg

63156484867__13CD7C56-ACF0-4E5D-85FA-11901911A07B.jpeg

IMG_4703.jpeg

Last edited:
The steering coupler (sliding u joint in last pic) should just pull apart, if not there is a very small pin to stop it from falling a part. Take a small flat pry bar and push it up flush with the coupler housing, dont remove it completely, just enough to slide coupler apart. On Bergmans coupler you may need to file the powder coating from the insides to get the slider blocks to fit nice. Not to much, just enough to slide in smooth, use plenty of chassis grease.

View attachment 619006

View attachment 619007

View attachment 619008

View attachment 619009
Thanks a million Boyde really appreciate your help mate!!

If already in there you might consider the borgeson joint to replace the rag joint. I was really on the fence when I replaced my gear box and everything but am very happy with how it feels making the switch.

If already in there you might consider the borgeson joint to replace the rag joint. I was really on the fence when I replaced my gear box and everything but am very happy with how it feels making the switch.
I bought all the kit from Peter Bergman so i didn't have to cut the shaft, the new model is very good.

View attachment 619006

View attachment 619007

View attachment 619008

View attachment 619009

Hi Boyd,

Would you have a pic of how the rag joint goes together please?

Cheers!

Back