AN hardline for fuel

Knebel

Reaction score
Has anyone here done a fuel hardline with AN compression fittings? I am looking to do a hardline from throttlebody that curves down by the waterpump and there ill attach a soft hose.
What material holds to 60psi and woul compression fitting hold that pressure too?

I have used standard steel hydraulic piping with JIC flare as it is the same as used in AN fittings. Or basically the whole AN fitting system is just a "lightweigth" version of industry standard JIC fittings. So if you have some hydraulic shop nearby, you can get the items from there. Also the JIC fittings are compatible with AN fittings. Only the inside hole diameter is smaller for extra wall thickness thus higher pressure rating. I have drilled the passages slightly bigger and used also those in my installations as i have those fittings easily available.

you can use the compression fittings to hardline, just make sure the outside of the tubing you are connecting to is smooth and burr/corrosion free. Make sure the flex line you are using is rated for your pressure and fuel type. Be careful there are JIC 45 fittings with a 45 degree conical seat, instead of the 37 degree seat of the AN fittings. AN is well proven in automotive fuel systems. They were originally designed as a standardization for the military, AN stands for Air Force - Navy Aeronautical Standard and AND Air Force - Navy Aeronautical Design Standard

Thanks MEV, that was new to me that there are also 45degree JIC like fittings available, apparently those are called SAE fittings but they have same threads.

This is quote from qchydraulics.com:

"The most common flare fitting standards in use today are the 45° SAE style, and the 37° AN style, also used with the JIC system. The AN / JIC style generally has a higher pressure rating for a given size tubing. SAE and AN/JIC fittings are completely incompatible due to the different flare angle."

Back