Another good reason to drive an older car

I held out for a long time, but they pulled all the pay phones out of this area.

That sort of pushed me into one.

Bought a Tracfone and it was cheaper to buy a new one every so often, than add minutes. Used to have a drawer full of the little Nokias...still have a few stashed somewhere. They are good little phones. Were desinged for India, Africa, China so you can charge them up for a week at a time. Voice and text only, no camera, GPS, or email. Thats why they last so long. No bluetooth either!

I held out for a long time, but they pulled all the pay phones out of this area.

That sort of pushed me into one.

Bought a Tracfone and it was cheaper to buy a new one every so often, than add minutes. Used to have a drawer full of the little Nokias...still have a few stashed somewhere. They are good little phones. Were desinged for India, Africa, China so you can charge them up for a week at a time. Voice and text only, no camera, GPS, or email. Thats why they last so long. No bluetooth either!

About 15 years ago an insurance company required me to have a pager so I could be contacted in off hours. I never had it on me when not in the office and many times would find it behind a dresser in the bedroom. So in 2006 I got a Virgin Mobile flip phone. It was cheaper at $20/3 months vs. the pager at $12/mos. Figured if I ever had to take a page I might as well be able to call back right away. However, the phone sits in a nightstand drawer and has only been used 5 times in the last 8 years. Usually for AAA as the only time I take it out is when one of the older cars is taken for a ride. In the last four years the Polara and F100 have both been towed home once.

No smart phones for me. Don't need the distraction, don't need the capabilities and don't need the tracking. Same goes for new cars with driving by wire, computer/entertainment systems, and installed tracking.

Almost forgot my Nokia bought in the Philppines in 2003. Sits in the drawer since the chip is for the Philippines and only useful there. The reason why useful is that is the only way to get in touch with friends on the go. One never uses the hotel and pay phones, well you have to be kidding.

Your's not what they call a Navigation System, Stan, we call it a gf. ;)
attachment.php

One of my biggest pet pevs! Get you friggin feet off the dash!!:angryfire:

As for cell phone...I have an older blackberry, 4-5 years old. I searched for the largest one they had at that time. I need it because it has the little pad you can use to move the selector around. My fingers are just too big to work on touch screens. I can use them, but I have to spend a lot of extra time trying to get back to where I was....;)

I have a particular hate for GPS systems, stand alone, or in-car. I still use maps, and google maps at home if I don't have the paper one handy, to look at the route I'm going to take.

I hate GPS and most of those modern "conveniences" in cars . To me, following orders from a GPS device puts you in a passive role. It's conformity at it's finest. Shut your brain off and the technology will think for you. It's like using a calculator for simple addition. Eventually, you stop thinking critically.

I do have a smartphone though. Those big screens are nice for looking at nudie pics while on the go!

Feet on the dash??????????? Run the center lane at the goin' home time in the summer months and catch all the ladies with their left foot high on the dash, dresses up around their waist with the A/C set on high and left vent aimed straight down 'tween their legz dryin' out their little happy place after sittin' on it all day in the office. We in the trade had a term for the position we saw but it's way too chauvinistic for ah Hiz 'N Herz site

I hate GPS and most of those modern "conveniences" in cars . To me, following orders from a GPS device puts you in a passive role. It's conformity at it's finest. Shut your brain off and the technology will think for you. It's like using a calculator for simple addition. Eventually, you stop thinking critically.

!

Aint that the truth!

I see this all the time at store check outs. Especially smaller stores where an employee is required to "figure out" the correct change. I usually do the math prior to the sale, including tax, so I know what I'm going to pay. I have had to correct them many times, that the change they gave me was a lot less then what I should be getting, or they have given me too much.

I have a smart phone so I can bother the people on FCBO

GPS is awesome for **** that is more than one block off the highway and you still need to use/have a brain.

Most of my friends and family consider me a human atlas and call for directions, if you want call me and I will tell you where to go lol

I remember looking at a car about ten years ago, out in the sticks of rural Oklahoma. The directions were all landmarks - there were few real signs to go by. Once off the main highway (turn two miles outside Little Axe onto the old Jones road, you'll see a large oak near the highway all by itself!) and directions like that that took me about 20 miles off the state highway. He gave me nothing but landmarks - no mileages at all - "Drive a spell up to the hill with the blue and white house on the right with the silo to the North of the house, then turn left onto the long driveway to the third house on the lane..." Found it with no issues at all! The seller gave perfect directions. I had my trailer and the cash ready for the buy...as well as another armed body with! Had a great time, and found a cool old Mopar that needed a new home. What GPS? You'd never have been able to find this place WITH one, guaranteed!

Great story, and how I do my job some days when running out to old wells. go up 50th then a left at the dead skunk.

I remember looking at a car about ten years ago, out in the sticks of rural Oklahoma. The directions were all landmarks - there were few real signs to go by. Once off the main highway (turn two miles outside Little Axe onto the old Jones road, you'll see a large oak near the highway all by itself!) and directions like that that took me about 20 miles off the state highway. He gave me nothing but landmarks - no mileages at all - "Drive a spell up to the hill with the blue and white house on the right with the silo to the North of the house, then turn left onto the long driveway to the third house on the lane..." Found it with no issues at all! The seller gave perfect directions. I had my trailer and the cash ready for the buy...as well as another armed body with! Had a great time, and found a cool old Mopar that needed a new home. What GPS? You'd never have been able to find this place WITH one, guaranteed!

I delivered a '67 Polara wagon to a buyer in far eastern Ohio in 2002. Close enough to West Virginia to hear the fiddles! One of the roads I needed to look for was "Possum Scream Road". When she gave me directions, she mentioned that if I came across a local landmark known as the "24-car pileup", I was one-half mile past where the car was going! Sure enough, I found the 24-car pileup, which was literally 24 cars and pickups all piled up together in a heap by the roadside. I had to go up another mile to find a driveway that I could turn my pickup and trailer around in! It was getting pretty dark and sketchy outside for my tastes by the time I got to the buyer's house. Had a great trip out of that little adventure, though!

I have a smartphone I barely use because its stupid..... i only have that thing to keep in touch with friends and family overseas. Got a gps too but have used it maybe 3 times.... will use it again in 2 weeks to find my way to the airport. I usually dont really listen to it and know where I have to go but keep it running as a "digital map" so i know ahead where to turn.

Back