Another Holy Grail C-body Resto Starts Here; 1970 Sport Fury S/23 "N" Code 383 4bbl

Hi folks,

I got a long overdue update post on the S/23. So what's new with the car?......

1) The quarter panel measurements are now done and our FK3 Orange 4-door hardtop "The Great Pumpkin" is now back home

2) Multiple other parts were taken off the car including the fenders, hood, trunk, front nose/grille, lights, and I believe doors too. (Pictures to hopefully come soon)

3) More interior trim was taken off

4) New window "cat whiskers" or fuzzies were ordered from Herb's Mopar Parts as the ones currently in the car are the originals BUT are half gone. We also believe it or not got the last set in stock too!

5) A new trunk mat was also ordered from Herb's Mopar Parts for the car

s23 nose off.jpg

s23 trim off 1.jpg

s23 trim off 2.jpg

We also made a pencil rubbing template/blueprint of the lock medallion and holes, and for the S/23 decals from the old original trunk for the new trunk as both are different so we now where everything goes and is correct......

s23 lock template 1.jpg

s23 lock template 2.jpg

THIS IS ALL I GOT FOR NOW UNTIL I GET MORE PICTURES, STAY TUNED......

Hi folks,

I got an update on the car with some good and bad news. I will start with the good news first. The good news is we decided that the core support will be getting painted so we ordered new decals. A new trunk jack instructions decal and tire pressure decal were ordered from Herbs Mopar parts, and a new coolant radiator service decal and a rotation for hideaway headlights decals were ordered from ECS Automotive Concepts for the car. See below......

Herb's Parts: 1970 C BODY JACK INSTRUCTIONS, Jack Instructions, 44237

Herb's Parts: 1969 C BODY TIRE PRESSURE DECAL, Tire Pressure, 4449

1964-73 Mopar Radiator/Coolant Decal (Multiple Options!)

1970-71 Mopar: Headlight Door

Now for the bad news......

Since taking the fenders off the car some rust was found, however it will be repaired the best it can. Pictures to hopefully come on that.

Now for the real bad news. As I mentioned in the beginning of my post/thread here, the original goal was to restore the car and have it ready in time for Carlisle 2022 to bring with "The Great Pumpkin" or our FK3 Orange 1970 Fury III. I also mentioned this in the Carlisle 2022 thread as well, but a few days ago we got the sad news that the car unfortunately will NOT be ready in time for Carlisle. We are very saddened by the news, BUT it is understandable too because you can't rush perfection as they say. In my personal opinion I originally thought it would be too rushed and a half a$$ of a job if it was ready for Carlisle anyway, so I'm glad in a way that it is not going. The plan right now is to still bring The Pumpkin to Carlisle, BUT also most likely bring the blue '68 Sport Fury fasttop too.

That is all for now, more to come hopefully soon......

Hi folks,

I got some good news. The coolant and hidden headlight decals from ECS Concepts came in the mail.

Also as a side note, we are going to be bringing the big beige '73 Custom Suburban wagon to Carlisle this year INSTEAD OF the blue '68 Sport Fury Fast-top.

Otherwise this is all I got for now, more to come hopefully soon.....

ECS decals.jpg

Hello bud,

I just read through this thread and I love your project and car. I got myself a 71 Sport Fury 383 4 N-Code and had that pie tin that you got too but removed it (383 super commando pie tin) . I could not verify 100% while googling for hours and hours that 70 and 71 4bbl´s in C-Bodys we´re really called super Commando. I just found that the Muscle Car engines in B-Bodys had that name but in a C-Body I am not sure. Some say all the 4BBl where atomatically super commando and 2BBl just commando but 20 people 20 different opinions. I personally love that pie tin but feeling weird with having it if it isn´t 100% (period) correct for my engine in a C-Body from 1971.

What is your opinion or what do you other C-Body friends know about that?

Best Reagrds,

Fabian

Hello bud,

I just read through this thread and I love your project and car. I got myself a 71 Sport Fury 383 4 N-Code and had that pie tin that you got too but removed it (383 super commando pie tin) . I could not verify 100% while googling for hours and hours that 70 and 71 4bbl´s in C-Bodys we´re really called super Commando. I just found that the Muscle Car engines in B-Bodys had that name but in a C-Body I am not sure. Some say all the 4BBl where atomatically super commando and 2BBl just commando but 20 people 20 different opinions. I personally love that pie tin but feeling weird with having it if it isn´t 100% (period) correct for my engine in a C-Body from 1971.

What is your opinion or what do you other C-Body friends know about that?

Best Reagrds,

Fabian

Hi Fabian,

Thank you very much for following the restoration and I really appreciate the compliment. If you want an expert opinion I highly suggest asking @billyfury, @Fury Pursuit, or @FURYGT. In my honest opinion though I would say keep the pie tin that came with your car on it, as in my opinion it would be correct. All 4bbl cars were Super Commandos and got pie tins as far as I know, although I could be wrong. I'm still learning these kinds of things

In my opinion, non of the post '69 C-bodies had the pie tin from the factory (excluding the TNT 440 U-code Chrysler). Only 335hp 383 & 375hp 440 engines with the high performance cam were Super Commando / Magnum engines those years for Plymouth/Dodges (which excludes all N-code C-body cars being 330hp).

I personally have never seen an actual 4bbl HP post '69 Dodge/Plymouth survivor with a pie tin except maybee a '71 SFGT.. Everything else has gone through some form of restoration over the last 50 years and probably added then.

Good Morning. Thanks for the exlanation and sharing of your opinion. I wish it was different with post 69 383´s but low comp 383 N Code engines were no Super Commandos and I think c-barge nailed it !

Hi Everyone,

I got a long overdue update on the S/23 restoration. The car is coming along very nicely and is coming at a faster pace than I personally thought. Most of the car is painted already too, all that needs to get painted is the back half of the car! It should be done by the next couple weeks just in time for the big Adirondack show we wanna take it to. We got the stripes out of the box and started to lay them out. First up are the hood stripes. These also came with instructions, a squeegee, and a rag to put them on with.......

Stripes 1.jpg

Stripes 2.jpg

Stripes 3.jpg

Stripes 4.jpg

Stripes 5.jpg

Stripes 6.jpg

Next are the side stripes. As a side note, if anyone wants the GT letter decals PM me and let me know.......

Stripes 7.jpg

Stripes 8.jpg

Here are the decals with my camera flash on to show that they are reflective.......

Stripes 9.jpg

Stripes 10.jpg

Got most of the parts in the truck all loaded and ready to go back to where the car is being restored today.......

S23 stuff in truck.jpg

Hi Everyone,

Just letting you all know, the quarter panels will be getting painted today then starts reassembly. Ok change of plans on the car as well. I originally said that the engine bay will not be getting restored as it is original paint, well that has (thank goodness) changed as my stepdads friend who is restoring the car said it would look like crap compared to the rest of the car if we didn't do it.

Keep us updated, sounds like it's progressing nicely. Post up some pics of the car as well :)

Hi again everyone,

So I got another update on the car. The car is literally inches from the finish line, and we are literally down to the wire with it being done in time for the Adirondack Nationals in New York. We are putting the stripes on tonight then putting the back seat and belts in, and washing it tomorrow morning then it's off to the show tomorrow whenever time that maybe. I sadly will unfortunately not be at the show this year though as I have to work and CANNOT take time off as we are so short staffed but if you go to the show be sure to look for the car and check it out. Pictures to come soon

Well, I got semi good news but mostly very sad news to report folks. The good news is the S/23 is finally out of paint prison and is now back home after 4 months, unfortunately the sad/bad news is that it did not make it to the show this year after all that time and hard work and rushing to get it done on time especially staying up until 2am the day of leaving for the show. I guess it did not want to be restored:(:mad:.

According to my stepdad (as I was at work when he left for the show as I before said I cannot go this year), that he just left our house and was just getting on the highway to go to the show and the car all of a sudden died and would not restart although it would turn over. LUCKILY thanks to our very good friend and member 1968Chryslers, he was in the area and picked up a brand new battery thinking it would do the trick and it seemed to although it restarted and ran for only 15 minutes then died again. So my stepdad came back home with the car on a flatbed and took our turquoise 4 door Fury III to the show instead. My stepdad is SO aggravated with the car because it keeps giving him problems he is thinking of selling it now, he seems to think it might be the brain for the electronic ignition, the coil , or the distributor pick up that is causing this issue.

I'm jumping ahead of myself A LOT, but here are a few pictures of the car now that it is finally home. It honestly looks the exact same in pictures but in person it looks 1,000 times better, and a bit shinier too. I will try to get better pictures of it in the sun.......

S23 done 1.jpg

S23 done 2.jpg

S23 done 3.jpg

S23 done 4.jpg

Last edited:
Car looks great in the photos. I'm sorry to hear that it was a disappointment to your stepdad on its maiden voyage straight out of the body shop! Hopefully it's not difficult to diagnose the problem and he'll make peace with it!

Shouldn't be that hard to trouble shoot, sounds like a ignition problem. When he gets back, run it until it quits and then see what's missing

1st: thanks for the thread
2nd: awesome work to get the car done right that fast. Well done body shop!
3rd: please tell your step-Dad, "Don't quick when you're right at the finish line." Get some friends over to help. Electrical is cake compared to body shop work.

awesome work to get the car done right that fast. Well done body shop!

My stepdads friend he knew since high school actually did the work on it, he did 95% of it but we had another friend of my stepdads friend who is a die-hard Mopar guy help with the quarter panel measurements

Back