Any SonoRamic Commando Guys Around?

Ram Fury

Reaction score
In an attempt to return to the days of my misspent youth, I have been able to acquire a '60 Fury 2-dr H/T with the SonoRamic Commando cross-ram engine (two four-barrel carbs, each resting on a set of 30" ram tubes, the left feeding the right cylinder bank and the right pushing fuel into the left). While not a twin, it is close cousin to the one I had back in the cave man days of 1960-1964. Only some 1577 Plymouths came off the line with either the 361 or 383 ram mill, but were found in all models Savoys, Belvederes, Furys, and Suburbans and all body styles: 2- and 4-dr posts, 2- and 4-dr H/Ts, ragtops, and even 6- and 9-passenger station wagons. The same engines were available in the Dodge Dart, while the bigger Dodge and DeSoto had just the 383 in ram form. The ram 383 continued as an option in '61, but not the ram 361. Of course, the ram 413 was available in the Letter Series cars through 1964.
Not many have survived and I'm interested in contacting anyone that has one of these cars. I don't want to belabor this site, but my e-mail is [email protected]
Joe Godec

He's around here somewhere.:rolleyes:

In an attempt to return to the days of my misspent youth, I have been able to acquire a '60 Fury 2-dr H/T with the SonoRamic Commando cross-ram engine (two four-barrel carbs, each resting on a set of 30" ram tubes, the left feeding the right cylinder bank and the right pushing fuel into the left). While not a twin, it is close cousin to the one I had back in the cave man days of 1960-1964. Only some 1577 Plymouths came off the line with either the 361 or 383 ram mill, but were found in all models Savoys, Belvederes, Furys, and Suburbans and all body styles: 2- and 4-dr posts, 2- and 4-dr H/Ts, ragtops, and even 6- and 9-passenger station wagons. The same engines were available in the Dodge Dart, while the bigger Dodge and DeSoto had just the 383 in ram form. The ram 383 continued as an option in '61, but not the ram 361. Of course, the ram 413 was available in the Letter Series cars through 1964.
Not many have survived and I'm interested in contacting anyone that has one of these cars. I don't want to belabor this site, but my e-mail is [email protected]
Joe Godec

I did a whole lot of Sonoramic Commando research before commencing with the build of this car from a six cylinder original built in Canada (hence the Dodge interior). The B & RB motors were already the best made and a force for its competitors to reckon with; but add ram induction and the supply of torque is seamless and endless, there is nothing like it. I own a 396 Corvette too and this wacky looking Plymouth is much more fun.

Dan

Savoy small pict (11).jpg

Savoy Marks1 (6).JPG

Savoy 384.JPG

Small Savoy Carlisle2.jpg

Savoy Cacklefest 2013 (5).JPG

Savoy Epping Small Sept 2013 (73).jpg

I was at a local car show last year in Pittsburgh there was a guy there who had a 1960 model same color as yours that he was in the process of restoring it was a driver but needed work to make it show quality. that show is always the weekend after mothers day I was planning on going this year. I'll try and get his contact info if he is there again this year. he collected mopars this was his pride and joy and like you had one in his youth.

very sweet ride there , i'm doing a 59-60 golden lion rb 383 with the sonoramic induction for a hotrod with the moon breathered 4 bolt chrome rocker covers . still not sure if the breathers will clear .
DSC00164.JPG
DSC00162.JPG

DP --
A nice car indeed. What engine do you have in it? The ram 383 was the only one to come off the assembly line as such, but since NASCAR and the NHRA authorized "Dealer Installed" parts in 1961, Chrysler listed the 413 as being such for both Plymouth and Dart. That's how the Ramchargers got their S/S '61 Pioneer 2-dr H/T and the Pettys got their '61 350 HP/413 CID Belvies.
However, you might consider painting the ram tubes gold as silver was more of a Dodge color, but that's rather minor.
Again, a neat car.
Joe

Joe: Its been 10 years since the build but we did quite a bit of research and concluded as you did, the 413 could be had in the Junior C bodies. I debated the color of the ram tubes too, I decided gold was too much and thought the bare metal contrast would be nice. The engine is a 440 .30, voodoo hydraulic cam, Aerohead open chamber ported heads and 2 600 cfm AFB dressed as a 1961 413. In back is a built 727, Gearvendors auxiliary overdrive and an 8-3/4 posi rear with 4:10 gears.

It moves right along for a heavy tank

Dan

very sweet ride there , i'm doing a 59-60 golden lion rb 383 with the sonoramic induction for a hotrod with the moon breathered 4 bolt chrome rocker covers . still not sure if the breathers will clear . View attachment 183922 View attachment 183923 .
I have a set I bought years back. My only question is, why is that when people take these off and post pictures and/or sell them, they never include the center sections that cover the exaust ports? These are a part of the set but seem to always be discarded.

Screenshot_20230720_094411_Chrome.jpg

I have a set I bought years back. My only question is, why is that when people take these off and post pictures and/or sell them, they never include the center sections that cover the exaust ports? These are a part of the set but seem to always be discarded.

View attachment 607657
I agree,they always seem to get lost somewhere?
They are available reproduction at JC auto. You have to cut them to fit,but they are a quality reproduction at a good price

JC Auto Restoration, Inc. | Vintage MoPar Auto Parts & Restoration

well when i asked the first guy that was selling them , he said the rest of what ? that seams to be the case , now i've seen complete setups for sale for tall money . i'm using mine setup in a hotrod custom , so i'll build what i need to complete it . and i've seen that piece repo'd for sale . it's a simple part to make . just have to have some tools .

well when i asked the first guy that was selling them , he said the rest of what ? that seams to be the case , now i've seen complete setups for sale for tall money . i'm using mine setup in a hotrod custom , so i'll build what i need to complete it . and i've seen that piece repo'd for sale . it's a simple part to make . just have to have some tools .
I've got pretty good fabrication skills. Just was hoping there was something out there to buy to look more original, but, you know, no big deal.

Back