For Sale Anybody looking for parts?- NOS parts for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

crv

Reaction score
Contact seller
Found this on Craigslist: http://cnj.craigslist.org/bfs/5327238017.html 00P0P_5rrifZ0sLwv_600x450.jpg

00P0P_5rrifZ0sLwv_600x450.jpg

Hopefully someone decent will buy the inventory. Arizona Parts, Brads, etc. and not Mitchells....

i'm surprised that the kanter brothers aren't all over this.

Hard to estimate what to pay for such a huge inventory. From a Business Point of view it is a lot of dead capital laying around in stock for years until somebody needs it.

Hard to estimate what to pay for such a huge inventory. From a Business Point of view it is a lot of dead capital laying around in stock for years until somebody needs it.
Yea, I've been trying to figure out where they came up with that price.

If I had to guess based on their description, there is 35k parts there. That would be $10 for each part.

If you think about it, that means you would have to average $20 each to resale. That's based on overhead for storage etc. and some profit. So... of those 35k items, some are going to be less than a dollar and some are going to have to be over $100.

Since he's been selling for a while, you can bet the 60's muscle car stuff that brings in high $$ is already gone. Now you area left with earlier and later stuff. The ad states to 1999. That means a lot of K car and other FWD junk is going to be intermixed. There's also a lot of aftermarket parts that never command a high price, especially if those parts are still available. Then there's stuff like master cylinders, hoses, calipers etc. They have a limited shelf life. That means you can expect to have to rebuild a NOS master cylinder that has been sitting on the shelf since 1954. Buyers know that and won't pay much.

IMHO, he's just testing the waters with an outrageous price. If someone is serious, they will look at what he has and make an offer. If not, then his price keeps the tire kickers and wannabee parts dealers away. Who knows? Someone may even pay that much! If nothing else, he's generated some interest in his parts.

The way you buy any business is the total purchase price (inventory, Goodwill, fixed assets, etc.) has to be no more than 5x the average annual total revenue of the previous three years.
If the ROI, ain't there, it makes no sense.

And the value of the inventory is determined by what it could be converted into cash within 90 days.

If I had to guess based on their description, there is 35k parts there. That would be $10 for each part.

If you think about it, that means you would have to average $20 each to resale. That's based on overhead for storage etc. and some profit. So... of those 35k items, some are going to be less than a dollar and some are going to have to be over $100.

Since he's been selling for a while, you can bet the 60's muscle car stuff that brings in high $$ is already gone. Now you area left with earlier and later stuff. The ad states to 1999. That means a lot of K car and other FWD junk is going to be intermixed. There's also a lot of aftermarket parts that never command a high price, especially if those parts are still available. Then there's stuff like master cylinders, hoses, calipers etc. They have a limited shelf life. That means you can expect to have to rebuild a NOS master cylinder that has been sitting on the shelf since 1954. Buyers know that and won't pay much.

IMHO, he's just testing the waters with an outrageous price. If someone is serious, they will look at what he has and make an offer. If not, then his price keeps the tire kickers and wannabee parts dealers away. Who knows? Someone may even pay that much! If nothing else, he's generated some interest in his parts.

All good points John. If you remember Frank Mitchell listed his on e bay as well. It didn't sell on e bay but it got noticed. Eventually it sold and all was happy.

And the value of the inventory is determined by what it could be converted into cash within 90 days.

He isn't even including the shelving... could be he is trying to establish an honest value, but I don't see how an efficient business could operate that way. He also mentioned unchecked boxes, which feels bogus. If he has a bargain... there are dealers who will swoop in fast. I know of one parts business that had two catastrophic fires about 10-15 years apart... both burned to the ground... both resulted in new well outfitted stores. I can't say there was wrong doing, but the rumors circulated for years. Could he be establishing insurance value?

The way you buy any business is the total purchase price (inventory, Goodwill, fixed assets, etc.) has to be no more than 5x the average annual total revenue of the previous three years.
If the ROI, ain't there, it makes no sense.

He's just selling inventory. No mention of the business.

Having bought and sold a business or two, I can tell you that 5x 3 years is pie in the sky for a business like this. I would expect to pay ~80% to maybe 150% of annual gross with some consideration for inventory and property minus total debt.

I can tell you that 5x 3 years is pie in the sky for a business like this.
That was my point.
There is no way what he is offering at what he is asking fits any model of smartly buying whatever a guy has when he is going out of business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back