Anyone delete EGR value on 400 engine?

When the 400s were still being produced, if one might have been installed in a 3/4 ton (or heavier) pickup truck, with over 8600lb GVW, there's a good possibility that it would not have had an EGR valve on it due to the HD emissions. Of course, the calibration of the carburetor would be different, too. And ELB engines, the first ones, had no EGR valves on them, IIRC.

In reality, a 400 is just an over-bored 383 (with a different block casting to support the larger bore size), with a lowered compression ratio.

Of course, for "testing purposes", you can plug the vac line going to the EGR valve and see what happens.

Why curious about this?

Take care,
CBODY67

Back when I was a Californian I did quite a bit of "testing" by getting 2 gaskets and putting a metal shim between them. There was even a factory block off plate for use on 49 state applications. This was when we had to pass a visual test by the CHP at roadside inspections.
You might have to richen up the carb a touch, which wasn't a bad thing. Also may have to back off the timing a little.

Nobody ever complained about the results!

Yes it was common practice to block off the ports with a plate. Primarily due to the fact that the EGR would carbon up and leak giving a rough idle. Some carb work may or may not be required but from my past experiences it wasn’t. I would say that most of them up here are blocked off or non functional.

Back