Anyone jack up half a car?

C Sickness

Reaction score
It crossed my mind if it would be possible to jack half the car. I need to change the muffler, which is on passenger side. Thought about jacking in the middle of the pass side frame rail, and putting stands next to pass side wheels (on frame).

This would leave the weight, and pressure on the two driver's side wheels. The problem might be the front wheels, which can't steer due to the steering lock. Maybe there could be steering pressures back against the locked column, breaking the lock. Also, there will be side pressures on the tires, which they may not like. The leaf springs might not be happy about it either.

Im not serious about the idea, just wondering if it had been done. Will probably put it up on the Quickjacks.

Lifted a car on one side more times than you've changed your socks.
You worry too much and are overthinking it.
Are you an Engineer?

No worries brother! Usually when I get the 68 up in the air I get it so far off of the ground that both tires on what ever side I am lifting lose contact with the ground anyway. The key thing (and I am glad to hear it) is that you are using jack stands. Make sure that your other wheels are chocked. Getting the whole side of the car up in the air is no problem!

What muffler are you going with?

No worries brother! Usually when I get the 68 up in the air I get it so far off of the ground that both tires on what ever side I am lifting lose contact with the ground anyway. The key thing (and I am glad to hear it) is that you are using jack stands. Make sure that your other wheels are chocked. Getting the whole side of the car up in the air is no problem!

What muffler are you going with?
I bought a Walker 17827 Sound FX. (I hope) it's an exact replacement.

Yes, obviously chock the other two wheels.

I had no problems doing the whole exhaust lifting by the center of the axel from the tail and a couple of Jack stands. I didn’t even have to take the rear wheels off.

F211E08A-1629-4134-A884-2BE1F1138FE1.jpeg

Before I replaced the entire system I Tried replacing the muffler only and I jacked from the side and was able to get to and cut off the front.

One thing you should be aware of when lifting a car from one side is not to open the doors until both sides are up and supported by jack stands. It is possible to throw the door out of alignment.

No, just paranoid. Trying to keep my project moving forward. Breaking stuff during repairs throws me for a loss.

If you're that anal and paranoid about it, then just jack all 4 corners and be done with it! So, what's the problem? Stan's right!

You worry too much and are overthinking it.
Are you an Engineer?

Yes dammit!:D
My doc always looks at his chart, “yep, he’s an engineer” when I start asking questions. When yer having eye surgery I wanna know how ya do that stuff.

Hey! I resemble that remark!

:rofl:

Yes dammit!:D
My doc always looks at his chart, “yep, he’s an engineer” when I start asking questions. When yer having eye surgery I wanna know how ya do that stuff.

Way back, before the turn of the century, and I was working as a Tool & Diemaker assigned to the engineering dept., I was pretty sure it was in my job description to give the occasional engineer a hard time. I was good at it too... :poke:

That said, they always wanted me to work on their projects.

Back