Anyone run an Edelbrock RPM Intake

That was before or after removing the exhaust manifolds?

I had 800cfm Thunder. It worked perfectly with edelbrock performer 383 dual plane intake and milder cam but struggled with street dominator and hotter cam.
Thanks, that makes sense. Seems like anything bigger than 600 afb style and 650avs have mid throttle issues. The AVS2 seems to have done away with issues on annular booster.

Thanks to everyone for the responses! Much more than I expected!

Made my decision and parts are on the way. The 11 inch converter actually stalls higher than I expected. Flashes to 2500 rpm (2400 rpm on the brakes). Talked to my converter guy and without knowing my converter, he suggested 2600 - 2800 rpm stall, and suggested I not change what I have after I told him it flashes to 2500. Next step up would be 9 1/2 inch with around 3200 rpm stall.

Bought the RPM intake and a Lunati hydraulic cam. Took out 13 degrees duration versus the old cam with just a tad average more lift. Intake has 2 degrees more lobe separation which I preferred it didn't have, but close enough. Unfortunately new cam is a 3 bolt and old one is a single bolt so had to buy a new chain.

I know how to make heavy cars go fast - my almost done 69 GTX Street /Strip car will go low 10's at around 3900 lbs and my 67 Coronet that I have had since 1981 will go high 8's (hopefully 8.70's) around 152+ mph with the new 1060 hp motor at over 3500 lbs. Just about ready to make some runs with the new motor. None of my motors have any power adders and are all naturally aspirated.

Judging by your post you know alot more than I and am looking forward to your results.

Good luck with it and keep us posed.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Well that says a hell of a lot when we don't even know what cam you had to begin with! And I also noticed that you're not paying attention to the parts being bought as I'm sure that Lunati makes that cam with a 1 bolt! For your own sake, I hope that you pay more attention from here on out! Good Luck

Sorry - you must have missed my second post. Post #7 in this thread has my existing cam info. I didn't initially post it as my intent was more to hear other's combos than focus on mine.

And unfortunately the Lunati cam only comes in 3 bolt configuration. I discussed the issue with the Lunati representative for a bit and then decided it was the cam I wanted and that a new timing chain was no big deal........ I honestly don't know what drove the decision for Lunati to make this a 3 bolt versus a single bolt. I would have expected this cam to be a single bolt.

Well I finally have an update. I don't know if it was the new Edelbrock RPM intake or the new cam (0.020" more exhaust lift and 13/14 intake/exhaust less duration), or both, but what a difference! It is so much more fun to drive, has great low end torque, idles great and starts great. The changes met all my expectations.

Took it to the track yesterday. Weather was just a touch better than last time I ran it in 2019. Last time out ran a best of 15.02 at 91 mph. Last night ran 14.82 with a best of 94.86 mph. But a lot left on the table. Never hooked and every run was feathered. Last time out it never spun. So now I will work on improving the suspension.

I had a blast taking it down the track. Can't wait top get the race car fixed. Started pulling the trans tonight - again! Hope we actually fix it this time......

IMG_4979.JPG
IMG_4989.JPG

Well I finally have an update. I don't know if it was the new Edelbrock RPM intake or the new cam (0.020" more exhaust lift and 13/14 intake/exhaust less duration), or both, but what a difference! It is so much more fun to drive, has great low end torque, idles great and starts great. The changes met all my expectations.

Took it to the track yesterday. Weather was just a touch better than last time I ran it in 2019. Last time out ran a best of 15.02 at 91 mph. Last night ran 14.82 with a best of 94.86 mph. But a lot left on the table. Never hooked and every run was feathered. Last time out it never spun. So now I will work on improving the suspension.

I had a blast taking it down the track. Can't wait top get the race car fixed. Started pulling the trans tonight - again! Hope we actually fix it this time......

View attachment 625949View attachment 625950
Add cal-tracs, a locker and drag radials, you should be deep into the 13's

Holley Terminator EFI on a performer RPM intake on a stock 361 1963 880 police spec. Runs great goes 60-100 in a jiffy.

IMG_0318.jpeg

I had a similar experience with the Performer RPM on a mild 440 (9:1, home ported heads, 509 MP cam advanced a few degrees, 750 Holley and headers), it worked great in my Charger with 4.30, 2.76, and 4.10 gears (I broke a bunch of rearends, lol) with a 4 speed.

That's a nice running Coronet, especially on regular street tires!

Back