Anyone who is restoring a '71 Sport Fury GT please post in this thread

who did the interior of yours?.. my bro-ham has the same color and style.. thanks

I have been looking at the stripes on my car and while they aren't perfect i have decided that they suit the original paint and interior, for me to take them off and put brand new ones on I think will detract from the overall preserved look of the car.

A friend on mine has a 71 GT and he's looking for the plastic seat belts clips that bolt to the center counsel anyone have a spare set or know where some are. Thanks for any help.

Screenshot_20170225-165154.png

It is I've been in touch with him about his wagons and other GT's and told him about my buddy's matching car. Really cool guy to talk to about cars he's helped out with my wagon.

John is a real good guy . I should have bought that Fury when he was considering it ..:BangHead:

T code.....

At least 2 early, if not pre-production '71 GT's were made with T code 350 HP 440's instead of the U code 370 HP 440. Two cars were built early as show cars to introduce the '71 GT's. A Green GT was made to tour the Canadian dealerships and a Gold one was made to tour the US dealerships. Dan is Seattle had them both and still has the Gold one and he has posted photos of that car on this board but I forget which thread it was in. It is very possible that these 2 GT's and perhaps a few others were made early on before the decision was made to use the U code 440 for '71. Dan has the exact number of T code cars produced. As for the colors chosen for these 2 cars, remember that in late '60's and early '70's earth tone colors were in style and therefore green, gold, tan and brown were popular colors, especially for non-muscle cars.

A long time ago I was told that the reason that there was no U code 440 in 1970 for the GT was because Chrysler wanted exclusive rights to having the U code 440 in a "banker's hot rod" and did not want the lesser '70 GT to have the same engine as the '70 300 Hurst. Of course we know that Plymouth's answer was to offer the V code 6 bbl 440 in the GT since they could not use the U code 440.

So, the T code 440 was 350 hp in 1970 and 370 hp in 1971?

No. In 1970 the GT was available with 2 engines, a T code 350 HP 440 & a V code 390 HP 6bbl 440. The '70 Hurst used a U code 375 HP 440 that was not available in the '70 GT. In '71 the GT came with only one engine, the U code 440, which was rated at 370 HP.

Back