Are there different offsets for the cop/taxi wheels from 1980's?

swinger69

Reaction score
and did they come in both 6" and 7" widths. Experts please chime in.

IMG_1453.JPG

I believe those wheels came in both 6" and 7" widths. Not sure about the bolt pattern. If you can find the wheels, the "police car poverty caps" are widely available. I thought about putting them on my Diplomat wagon (which actually has a transplanted rear from a former police cruiser), but went with the Chrysler road wheels instead. Good luck!

I believe those wheels came in both 6" and 7" widths. Not sure about the bolt pattern. If you can find the wheels, the "police car poverty caps" are widely available. I thought about putting them on my Diplomat wagon (which actually has a transplanted rear from a former police cruiser), but went with the Chrysler road wheels instead. Good luck!

If the cruisers were spec'd with 70 series tires, they got 7" wheels, not real common, but available. As far as I know, they did not use 7" on taxis. But with Mopars, one learns to never say never.

Dave

15X7 only! They had 15X8 for the Super Coupe Aspen and Volares, these did not have the nubs for the hubcaps as they used a bolt in center.

Here's the "Super Coupe wheel" For comparison. Also stock application on Magnum GT.

SuperCoupe_Rims_with_Centers.jpg

Super Coupe wheels were all 15x8. Magnum GT were all 15x7.

When I bought my Magnum GT wheels, they were on closeout from Chrysler. Only $3.00/wheel difference between the 15x7 and 15x8. I opted for the 15x7s and never looked back. Should have bought more! A year or so later at Mopar Nats, they were going for $400.00+/set of 4, center caps included. Could have more than doubled my money, back then. Vastly helped the looks of my '80 Newport, even with the stock-size P225/75R-15 white wall tires. WAY better than the stock 15.5.5 stock steel wheels and smooth wheel covers.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I suspect that backspacing will vary with rim width. BOTH dimensions will be important, together, rather than individually.

CBODY67

Back