Article about imperials

One of my uncles bought a used '65 Delta 88 2dr hardtop. I was a local car which had been owned by a doctor. One summer, we went "out west" in it with his family. On the way back, we stopped in Abilene, TX to see some other relatives. Openned the glove box and punched the "Trunk Release" button and nothing happened. Cycle repeat. Key wouldn't open the trunk lid, either. Not good. I was glad our '66 Chrysler didn't have that option!

The '68 and later Chrysler factory cruise controls worked great and from my experiences, were more reliable than the similar GM units. Took up less underhood space than the old Auto-Pilot units did, too.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I'm happy my '66 Imperial does NOT have Auto-Pilot, the auto-dimmers, or the vacuum-actuated trunk lock release. I dunno, were I too lazy to actually move my foot six inches to hit the dimmer switch, or keep my foot on the gas pedal to hold a given speed, or actually walk to the back of the car to open the decklid, then yeah.

I like to drive.

Actually, the remote truck lock release on a '66 is an electric solenoid. Mine has it and it still works. However it requires very precise adjustment/shimming of the height of the latch. If the the trunk lid is pulled too hard against the rubber seal it is not strong enough to pull the lock open. But even in the event of not working - it will not prevent one from opening with the key.

Back