At my age

BIGBARNEYCARS

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I know I've heard it all and I've seen most of it too BUT. For those of us that have traveled around the south and south east we're all pretty fourmilier with the houses that want to be on top of the Ocean and Gulf without being in it so we're used to seeing houses on stilts side by side with their carz parked beneath 'um between the stilts. Our last little annoyance from Africa(TROPICAL STORM ISAIAS) Created a problem for those home owners on stilts I waz not aware of 'til now. Seams that about a dozen homez got burned to the ground when their car battery's shorted out while the carz were under water from the storm surge, ignited the carz and burnt the houses above 'um to the ground and took ah few neighbors places with 'um. Don't know if that made the National Newz, but I don't think we can blame Covid-19 or can we? Jer

If you own an electric or hybrid car that gets immersed in salt water, the result is a very hot lithium fire that destroys the car and anything close.

Dave

If you own an electric or hybrid car that gets immersed in salt water, the result is a very hot lithium fire that destroys the car and anything close.

Dave
The lithium Battery makes perfect since to you and me as we're car guyz Dave but the community where these fires took place is now recommending that the owners of ALL cars disconnect the battery's or drive then out from underneath their homes. Seams some what moot to even attempt to disconnect one of those Lithium battery's with a Hybrid fuel cells on board when most drivers today have no clue what a screw driver iz. Stay well and stay away from Portland, Jer

The lithium Battery makes perfect since to you and me as we're car guyz Dave but the community where these fires took place is now recommending that the owners of ALL cars disconnect the battery's or drive then out from underneath their homes. Seams some what moot to even attempt to disconnect one of those Lithium battery's with a Hybrid fuel cells on board when most drivers today have no clue what a screw driver iz. Stay well and stay away from Portland, Jer

The lunatics now run the asylum in Portland. Mayor and Governor are both idiots.

Dave

I can see the big yellow warning sticker on the sun visors now in these hybrid/electric cars. "Do not immerse vehicle in water, catastrophic fire can result".

What about the full-electric Tesla, Fisker, and such?

No problem with 93 Octane performance.....

37093.jpeg

What about the full-electric Tesla, Fisker, and such?

I don't think it matters, the battery compartment needs to be vented to keep the batteries cool and to keep a shorted cell from building potentially explosive gasses in the battery compartment. If salt water can get in thru the vents, an explosion or lithium fire will result. As a practical matter salt water destroys any type of electronics, so even if a way could be found to isolate the batteries, the rest of the car would probably be junk anyway. Fisker went broke about 5 years ago and attrition is gradually removing those cars from the road.

Dave

I can see the big yellow warning sticker on the sun visors now in these hybrid/electric cars. "Do not immerse vehicle in water, catastrophic fire can result".
They would never incriminate themselves like that. These are “green” vehicles and so good for the environment!
You know all that “zero emissions” crap they speak.

how about building and disposing of the batteries?

The Dirty Secrets Of ‘Clean’ Electric Vehicles

Last edited:
They would never incriminate themselves like that. These are “green” vehicles and so good for the environment!

And do not forget the child slaves used to mine the Cobalt for ion batteries in the Congo and other third world countries. Most of them die of heavy metal poisoning.

Dave

I sure hope you're being sarcastic?

Isn't there some cobalt in Canada?

I believe the Toyota batteries go back to Toyota. There's a local guy who does battery exchanges remotely. He puts the new one in the back of his Prius, drives to the custoemr's car, exchanges it for the old one, then brings the core back to the local Toyota dealer for core credit and then the old ones go back to Toyota. He has a good business doing that.

The GM batteries are done something like that, too. Except it takes special jack to remove and install the batteries in the Volts. Cores go back to GM.

What the OEMs do with the cores is something I'm not sure of.

As for those "cooked" vehicles, that would probably be ONE hazzardous waste situation.

FWIW,
CBODY67

Isn't there some cobalt in Canada?

I believe the Toyota batteries go back to Toyota. There's a local guy who does battery exchanges remotely. He puts the new one in the back of his Prius, drives to the custoemr's car, exchanges it for the old one, then brings the core back to the local Toyota dealer for core credit and then the old ones go back to Toyota. He has a good business doing that.

The GM batteries are done something like that, too. Except it takes special jack to remove and install the batteries in the Volts. Cores go back to GM.

What the OEMs do with the cores is something I'm not sure of.

As for those "cooked" vehicles, that would probably be ONE hazzardous waste situation.

FWIW,
CBODY67

The world's largest producer is the Democratic Republic of the Congo, followed by Russia, Australia, Philippines and Cuba. Cobalt is often produced as a byproduct of Nickel and Copper Mining. Russia and Cuba produce Cobalt but imports from there are banned under current sanctions. Canada comes in at #8. Most of the Cobalt in the US was produced by Copper mining and most of those mines are no longer operational.

Dave

The lunatics now run the asylum in Portland. Mayor and Governor are both idiots. Dave
Our governor has the same problem, Virginia. And by constitution, he is a dictator because only he can call the legislature into special session. Regular session was scheduled January 8 thru March 7. Idiocy rules.

Our governor has the same problem, Virginia. And by constitution, he is a dictator because only he can call the legislature into special session. Regular session was scheduled January 8 thru March 7. Idiocy rules.

We have a special session starting tomorrow to address a $1.3 billion dollar hole in the state budget caused by Covid and the ongoing rioting. Looks to be some fireworks coming because the Republican minority in the legislature have indicated that they will walk if an attempt is made to raise taxes (again). Gov is against cuts to anything but especially to education. She had a temper tantrum a couple of weeks ago when there was a teleconference between the Gov, Mayor of Portland and the Homeland Security Director concerning the presence of Federal officers protecting Federal buildings in Portland. Homeland security director told the Gov and Mayor to get control of the situation or face the prospect of a thousand or more Feds in Portland. Gov caved and agreed to provide state police for riot control. As the meeting ended, she asked that her office be cleared and then she proceeded to launch into a profanity laced tirade and furniture was heard being slammed about (she forgot to turn of the mic in her office). Feds forcing her to act ruined her whole day. The recall petition is nearing enough signatures to force a recall election. Probably won't be recalled because the big democratic base in Portland and the public employee unions still support her in spite of the fact that she is a hopeless idiot.

Dave

Back