Australia

Carmine

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Since we have an America thread, but a few Aussie members...

WTF is going on over there? I used to really want to visit your country, but what's happening?

Arrest for a Facebook post? Are you allowed to respond? Just click an emoji

Screenshot_20200902-082505.png

That could have been written for the United States.

I'm pretty sure we have a right to free assembly. This was May 22nd 2020 in Michigan, and well advertised on FB.

I might add that it's been like that every weekend until the "cancelled" date of the Woodward Cruise, when it got bigger. This was just one shopping center of dozens on the route.

WARNING ! LONG AND BORING RANT FOLLOWS:
I only caught the News Report very briefly last night, Heavy Handed ? YES, But Necessary ? YES.
Far too many People are Not taking the Present Situation SERIOUSLY!
I am Surrounded by People who don't seem to give a Damn.
People shopping without Masks, Not washing their Hands, Not wearing Gloves or Masks when selling / serving Food Etc.
Not Social Distancing.
I have criticized People in McDonalds for handling my Food without Mask / Gloves.
I have criticized People for Handling money in the Hungry Jack's Drive Through & then handing me
my Food without changing their Gloves. (Money is the Thilthiest most Germ laden object on the face of the Earth.)
I have been gentle in my Handling of these people, pointing out that if they get Sick, being young, they have every chance of Recovering.
But if they take it home to Mum or Dad or Gran Ma or Gran Pa or Even that Lovely Little Person born only Months ago it WILL be a Different Story.
And Yes we all believe in the RIGHT of LIFE, LIBERTY & THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS, However this does not give us the RIGHT to put Somebody Else's
Life at Risk.
How many of you have had the Experience when shopping in Winter, only to have some Lurgi ridden Checkout Girl Cough, Sneeze & Sniffle all over
your Groceries. I don't know about you But that really Pings me Off, and that's only the Flu.
And considering that the Lady was Expecting was she going to put her Unborn child at risk by attending the Rally.
And if she wasn't going to attend, what right did she have to Encourage other people to risk their Lives?
We have people Dying Every Day, Strangely Enough the States that have taken the Most Draconian Steps to Prevent the Spread of the Virus are the States
who have the Lowest Death Rates.
Yes some of the Measures have been a Pain and it's a Tragedy that I can't go on my Annual Holiday or out to my Favourite Restaurant Etc.
But I get the feeling that as long as it's somebody else's Family that's Grieving I will continue feeling offended at having my Freedoms restricted.
Heavy Handed ? YES, But Necessary ? You can Bet Somebodies Life on That!
We have an Old Saying over here. "WAKE UP AUSTRALIA"
Tony.M

Probably not the reply you were hoping for, but I'm glad to hear people aren't obeying very well. It gives me some hope.

Speaking of hope... I wanted Hungry Jack' to be something uniquely Australian and not just the same shi**y Burger King we have here. That was disappointing.

I only caught the News Report very briefly last night, Heavy Handed ? YES, But Necessary ? YES.
People shopping without Masks, Not washing their Hands, Not wearing Gloves or Masks when selling / serving Food Etc.
Not Social Distancing.
I have criticized People in McDonalds for handling my Food without Mask / Gloves.
I have criticized People for Handling money in the Hungry Jack's Drive Through & then handing me
my Food without changing their Gloves. (Money is the Thilthiest most Germ laden object on the face of the Earth.)
I have been gentle in my Handling of these people, pointing out that if they get Sick, being young, they have every chance of Recovering.
But if they take it home to Mum or Dad or Gran Ma or Gran Pa or Even that Lovely Little Person born only Months ago it WILL be a Different Story.
And Yes we all believe in the RIGHT of LIFE, LIBERTY & THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS, However this does not give us the RIGHT to put Somebody Else's
Life at Risk.
How many of you have had the Experience when shopping in Winter, only to have some Lurgi ridden Checkout Girl Cough, Sneeze & Sniffle all over
your Groceries. I don't know about you But that really Pings me Off, and that's only the Flu.
And considering that the Lady was Expecting was she going to put her Unborn child at risk by attending the Rally.
And if she wasn't going to attend, what right did she have to Encourage other people to risk their Lives?
We have people Dying Every Day, Strangely Enough the States that have taken the Most Draconian Steps to Prevent the Spread of the Virus are the States
Yes some of the Measures have been a Pain and it's a Tragedy that I can't go on my Annual Holiday or out to my Favourite Restaurant Etc.
But I get the feeling that as long as it's somebody else's Family that's Grieving I will continue feeling offended at having my Freedoms restricted.
Tony.M

Last edited:
Probably not the reply you were hoping for, but I'm glad to hear people aren't obeying very well. It gives me some hope.

What hope is that? I can't fathom why following basic rules to help prevent yourself and others from getting ill...so being a compassionate and caring member of your community would be considered detrimental or wrong.

Keeping in mind this discussion is likely better suited for the dedicated thread on this board here is a bit of a reality check. Remember in late March and early April we were told the death rate was would be 5.2 percent? Infections and deaths peaked back then and the estimates since that time have steadily declined. Current estimates range from 0.1 percent tor as high as 0.4 to 0.5 percent, though treatment advances should mean it will trend lower over time. Even at 0.26 percent, the rate is more comparable to a bad flu strain like the 1968 Hong Kong flu.

What hope is that? I can't fathom why following basic rules to help prevent yourself and others from getting ill...so being a compassionate and caring member of your community would be considered detrimental or wrong.

I cant get behind anything that'll destroy hundreds of thousands of lives and crash a countries economy to save a few people. We need to thin the herd as it is.

It's too late. They have given up their guns. They have no say.
Americans better look at Australia as an example. A bad one.
Don't give up your guns.

Not Social Distancing.
Life at Risk.
Tony.M
Had to red x your statement Tony. It pained me to do so, as I agree with most of your statement as a matter hygiene and common courtesy. Although I do believe that you should expect as much when dining at Mickey D's, and its a little self defeating including them in a rant where you're concerned with your heath.

I will continue to meet the minimum standards to get by in society here, but do not believe in mandatory crap outside of medical facilities. Obviously, we are living in very different worlds... and normally I'd be OK with all facebook posters being arrested and maybe even mass executions for them, the ones on their phones in traffic especially.

I'm with @Carmine , I always thought Australia would be a neat place to visit... in fact I'm pretty sure that my uncommon and unpublished last name is Australian for "loud mouth *******". I see these posts and the following police action and all I can think is "Gestapo"... which kills all the romantic feelings I held toward your country.

I realize that you're new here and I don't want you to misunderstand any of this as a personal attack. I am glad that you are happy with this stuff happening in your world. I, however, could never tolerate it in mine. I don't see myself becoming a radical and trying to solve the problem. Maybe retreating to someplace off the map, like Idaho, or wherever the preppers go to establish their bug out shelter.

Last edited:
Had to red x your statement Tony. It pained me to do so, as I agree with most of your statement as a matter hygiene and common courtesy. Although I do believe that you should expect as much when dining at Mickey D's, and its a little self defeating including them in a rant where you're concerned with your heath.

I will continue to meet the minimum standards to get by in society here, but do not believe in mandatory crap outside of medical facilities. Obviously, we are living in very different worlds... and normally I'd be OK with all facebook posters being arrested and maybe even mass executions for them, the ones on their phones in traffic especially.

I'm with @Carmine , I always thought Australia would be a neat place to visit... in fact I'm pretty sure that my uncommon and unpublished last name is Australian for "loud mouth *******". I see these posts and the following police action and all I can think is "Gestapo"... which kills all the romantic feelings I held toward your country.

I realize that you're new here and I don't want you to misunderstand any of this a s a personal attack. I am glad that you are happy with this stuff happening in your world. I, however, could never tolerate it in mine. I don't see myself becoming a radical and trying to solve the problem. Maybe retreating to someplace off the map, like Idaho, or wherever the preppers go to establish their bug out shelter.

I like you a lot Jeff exspecially because you make well thought postings with a lot of balancing of different aspects.
I think it was a well written answer. And I am writing about the "how" you wrote it not about the functional content.

Carsten

I realize that you're new here and I don't want you to misunderstand any of this a s a personal attack. I am glad that you are happy with this stuff happening in your world. I, however, could never tolerate it in mine. I don't see myself becoming a radical and trying to solve the problem. Maybe retreating to someplace off the map, like Idaho, or wherever the preppers go to establish their bug out shelter.

I couldnt have said any of this better myself, especially the part about executions for FB users, myself included, and not wanting to seem as though I were dumping on a particular poster.

I guess I made this a separate thread because I have been so saddened to read of these things happening in Australia. Part of that comes from the knowledge that all the guns were scooped up a few years back, and now it seems like a prophecy come true... people being arrested essentially for daring to utter thoughts contrary to the official position of the government. Not calling for violence or the overthrow of said government mind you, just disobedience to a particular policy.

Understand that we in the USA have considered hubs like Los Angeles and NYC to be lost-causes for at least a generation. But we never wanted to live there anyway. We (I) probably have a romantized 1980s view of Australia as a beautiful, sunny land of Mad Max, rampant crocodiles, steaks and seafood and probably the only "foreign" cars I'd find desirable. Watching Australian police do this to fellow non-violent Australians just hurts my soul a bit.

Back