Auto temp 2 :(

This is all very interesting. As my Auto temp stooped work in my 77 last summer. I hear hissing from under passenger side dash. Time to investigate…

Easiest test: Transfer switch and recirculating door actuator. I suspect these don't fail very easily. After these the vacuum control switch and then remove the dash and refer to FSM.

Check valves are at this area. They are also easy to test.
2024-02-07 17_43_43-IMG_20240207_173853.jpg ‎- Photos.png

More information:

Better picture of Defrost Actuator installed with shims. Located over the throttle pedal. Other option is to bend the bracket but I thought that would risk ripping off the heater case.

2024-02-07 18_05_40-IMG_20240207_173918.jpg ‎- Photos.png

My system was missing the vacuum tank initially. 71-73 Ford Vacuum Can would be very close to the original, but since it was not readily available, I put Dorman 47076 (or similar).
Cold engine lockout valve connectors were leaking. I bypassed entire valve and connectors by 1/8 tube for test purposes. It could be left bypassed depending on preference. This affects directly to Master Switch circuit and minimizing the leak risks here is also beneficial.

2024-02-07 18_07_23-IMG_20240207_174037.jpg ‎- Photos.png

ATC Park feature did not work initially because some previous stereo install guy had cut Red-Tracer wire from +12V supply on back of the radio. Park position missing seems not to affect system dramatically.

Last edited:
More information:

Better picture of Defrost Actuator installed with shims. Located over the throttle pedal. Other option is to bend the bracket but I thought that would risk ripping off the heater case.

View attachment 642758

My system was missing the vacuum tank initially. 71-73 Ford Vacuum Can would be very close to the original, but since it was not readily available, I put Dorman 47076 (or similar).
Cold engine lockout valve connectors were leaking. I bypassed entire valve and connectors by 1/8 tube for test purposes. It could be left bypassed depending on preference. This affects directly to Master Switch circuit and minimizing the leak risks here is also beneficial.

View attachment 642759

ATC Park feature did not work initially because some previous stereo install guy had cut Red-Tracer wire from +12V supply on back of the radio. Park position missing seems not to affect system dramatically.
i

More information:

View attachment 642758

View attachment 642759

I’d keep looking for the metal can. The heat in that area is impressive on these 440s.

Great job. Love the thread. Keep it up.

Thanks, I didnt know that. Was 1973 the last year for Autotemp II, or later?
To be clear:

AutoTemp II version 1.0 with the under hood servo/ coolant combo assembly ended in 73;

AutoTemp II next gen, 2.0 whatever was 74-78, included separation of the leaky underhood assembly by putting the servo inside the car on the heater box.

For years (literally) I struggled with a situation where all my vacuum issues were under control but I could not get the different modes to work (I only could get defrost air, not air through the dash etc). Turned out to be the amplifier not sending electrical signals to the servo.

$T2eC16V,!zUE9s38+CCeBRU32ONeyw~~60_57.jpg

Now my system works, but then I had a freon leak (condensor). It's always something...

To be clear:

AutoTemp II version 1.0 with the under hood servo/ coolant combo assembly ended in 73;

AutoTemp II next gen, 2.0 whatever was 74-78, included separation of the leaky underhood assembly by putting the servo inside the car on the heater box.

For years (literally) I struggled with a situation where all my vacuum issues were under control but I could not get the different modes to work (I only could get defrost air, not air through the dash etc). Turned out to be the amplifier not sending electrical signals to the servo.

View attachment 646291

Now my system works, but then I had a freon leak (condensor). It's always something...
Thanks, I have never seen that system. I think Autotemp I is quite a nice system. The servo/ coolant combo in the version II seems not like a good combination.
Is it possible to get a new amplifier or to have it rebulit?

Thanks, I have never seen that system. I think Autotemp I is quite a nice system. The servo/ coolant combo in the version II seems not like a good combination.
Is it possible to get a new amplifier or to have it rebulit?
Yes you can have the Amp rebuilt or exchange for a reconditioned unit. Contact Performance Analysis | Climate Control | Diaphragms | Blower Motors | Pushbutton Panels | Vacuum Door Locks | Autotemp | Cruise Control | Engine Oil Analysis | Mercedes-Benz Parts | Mercedes-Benz Club of America | Oak Ridge | Car Care - Home | Performance Analysis Co.

Has anyone rebuilt Amplifier themselves? There's only few "Through hole" components on PCB and there has to be an electrican here. If single component has been visibly fried, it could be replaced, right? There is not even potting material to be removed. PCB schematic with component information could be handy. I bet a professional could reverse engineer schematic by looking the PCB.

What I learned about 74-78 ATC II
Thread contains almost all necessary information on the system. Sorry for posting messages with duplicate info earlier.

Last edited:
By the way when the system is functioning, it's quite impressive.

Example, One cool morning I had the car (77 T&C) set to "Vent" and the temp swing arm all the way to the left or 65 and noted that there was no fan action...I immediately panicked and thought that the Autotemp II gremlins had struck again, but no. Turns out it was colder outside than 65 that morning, so the system did not push air. Once it warmed up outside to 65 plus, the system came on pushing vent air. Also the fan intensity ramped up with the temperature differential as the day went on.

I think it's very cool to see the system operating to keep the temp where I set it.

If you have nothing, no movement of the air doors, no A/C clutch engagement etc. ....
.... A lot of the parts for these systems are obsolete and difficult to find, so good luck.

Eave

YES! I would seriously consider replacing the old vacuum controls for one of these systems entirely with modern, electronic thermostatic controls. Mind you, that's a little bit of engineering, but if I were afflicted with a '70s auto AC, that's the path I would take if much of the old system controls were worn out.

Back