AutoTemp 1 system.

celticwarlock

Reaction score
I have the misfortune of having the AutoTemp 1 system in my '69 NY. Of course, it does not work. Does anyone know exactly what is necessary to convert the car to a conventional A/C set up?

A regular AC compressor, box, and other assorted pieces? I don't know what "AutoTemp 1" is... Maybe some pictures would help?

You are going to have to locate the HVAC box, dash controls, and all the accompanying vacuum lines and assorted wiring bits from a parts car.
In other words everything from A to Z under the dash.
You should also replace the heater core and the a.c. evaporator.
The vacuum lines from the replacement unit will also be dry and brittle so that is a problem. Also a new correct heater valve.
Since you are going through all that trouble, think about the new dryer and expansion valve you will need anyway.
Your current R2 compressor, condensor, and existing a.c. lines may not be up to the task.
The replacing of the heater box under the dash will add new curse words to the vocabulary.

I have another heater box with vacuum lines, etc. (all labeled meticulously) from another car that was stripped by a good friend of mine. I believe the heater core is contained within that box and has never been removed (I will replace it if I go through with this). My compressor still runs and the system is at least partially charged; the condenser and lines also seem to be in satisfactory condition. I should have the dash controls also. The heater control valve will need to be sourced, but I think I have everything else. Other than the controls, valve, vacuum assembly and box, all the other hardware is the same, yes?

​There were AutoTemp II's in Fusies but that was the first generation ATC II. ATC II Gen 2 came in '74.

Gents, I need some guidance in the same area, yet not.. I need to replace my heater core in my 75 NYB. Can someone direct me to another post that can maybe address the "How too's" or any direction for that matter would be helpful. Thanks Fella's.

Gents, I need some guidance in the same area, yet not.. I need to replace my heater core in my 75 NYB. Can someone direct me to another post that can maybe address the "How too's" or any direction for that matter would be helpful. Thanks Fella's.

look at my thread from earlier today... good pics and several valuable links...save some of these guys from doing it twice.

There is a procedure in the FSM if you're looking for a step by step.

I'm gonna show how NEWBEE, Greenhorn, wet behind the ears to the forum I am and as what the (FSM) is? can you maybe post the link for me please.

Back