AutoTemp II - where do I begin?

All the information is probably right here on this 1971 Master Tech record....

IMG_7761.JPG

IMG_7760.JPG

Sorry, but I had to disagree... if it were as simple as you say it is, nobody would be bitching about it, and everyone would have a working system, and it wouldn't be an issue. Plain and simple, the system worked when they were new but VERY difficult to fix, diagnose, and repair in the later years. There is no guarantee, that after dumping $700 plus dollars, into two parts that it will work properly. It is well known that these are very problematic and intricate systems so please don't soft soap it and lead people to believe that it's an easy fix. It's just not so.
I believe the real issue most seem to have... is the cost of the parts. If the parts were readily available and under a grand (IIRC the upgrade servo is something like $1200-$1500), we'd see a bunch more "hanging parts" threads. Unfortunately, between expensive parts, hard to find parts and plain ol unobtainaium parts... plus the belief that a switch,voltmeter and vacuum gauge (the miller tool) is going to magically solve all your problems... lots of folks just do without or sit around hoping an easier solution will float to the surface.

I just haven't done it yet, but firmly believe these systems should be as diagnosable as Javier proved on his Formal thread.

Problem is, once the diagnosis is done, you may hang parts to find more parts are needed... then there is the fun of finding suitable vacuum motors and controls... age and complexity are the big enemies here. Probably would be less of a big deal in a high dollar car, but who wants to double their investment for A/C?
Here’s the link:
865-482-9175
I said “Performance Analysis has...” I did not say “Performance Analysis has, available on their website...”
George Murphy is a friendly guy. Push the link and leave a message. He’ll call you back.
I am sure you're correct that he has something better than finding the obsolete tool for diagnosing these. I keep meaning to gut the parts car dash and compare the miller tool to simpler voltmeter/vacuum gauge diagnostics. I just continue to distract myself with other projects.

Sorry, but I had to disagree... if it were as simple as you say it is, nobody would be bitching about it, and everyone would have a working system, and it wouldn't be an issue. Plain and simple, the system worked when they were new but VERY difficult to fix, diagnose, and repair in the later years. There is no guarantee, that after dumping $700 plus dollars, into two parts that it will work properly. It is well known that these are very problematic and intricate systems so please don't soft soap it and lead people to believe that it's an easy fix. It's just not so.
I’m so sorry for you! You may have ATC II-induced PTSD! I went through the huge gamut of repairs myself. We could start a support group!

Last edited:
I believe the real issue most seem to have... is the cost of the parts. If the parts were readily available and under a grand (IIRC the upgrade servo is something like $1200-$1500), we'd see a bunch more "hanging parts" threads. Unfortunately, between expensive parts, hard to find parts and plain ol unobtainaium parts... plus the belief that a switch,voltmeter and vacuum gauge (the miller tool) is going to magically solve all your problems... lots of folks just do without or sit around hoping an easier solution will float to the surface.

I just haven't done it yet, but firmly believe these systems should be as diagnosable as Javier proved on his Formal thread.

Problem is, once the diagnosis is done, you may hang parts to find more parts are needed... then there is the fun of finding suitable vacuum motors and controls... age and complexity are the big enemies here. Probably would be less of a big deal in a high dollar car, but who wants to double their investment for A/C?

I am sure you're correct that he has something better than finding the obsolete tool for diagnosing these. I keep meaning to gut the parts car dash and compare the miller tool to simpler voltmeter/vacuum gauge diagnostics. I just continue to distract myself with other projects.
George’s method requires a VOM and a couple clip leads. I absolutely hate ATC II (and ATC I for that matter). I would MUCH prefer to have regular controls. It is a simple system, to my mind but it is finicky, expensive and lackluster, for sure!

George’s method requires a VOM and a couple clip leads. I absolutely hate ATC II (and ATC I for that matter). I would MUCH prefer to have regular controls. It is a simple system, to my mind but it is finicky, expensive and lackluster, for sure!
And when I say simple, what I mean is logical and easily understood in operation. It is not some unfathomable mystery!

I hate these systems in modern cars as well. It takes about a 1/2 calorie of effort to adjust temp if I'm too hot/cold, and sometimes I want heat from the dash to thaw frozen hands, not my well-insullated feet!

I’ll say a bit more on this: I absolutely despise ATC II. It is expensive and problematic and finicky. It is however, quite simple to understand and diagnose. It certainly gets more difficult from there out. 78Brougham is absolutely right to warn most people off.

Happy Sunday! It's a super hot and humid day here today, which got me thinking about the 73 T&C's A/C system. It's AutoTemp II...and wow does it look complicated. I'm not well-versed in all things AC, but am hoping that you can steer me in the right direction.

I know I will not be using R12. It will be either R143a or Duracool. I will not be upgrading the compressor and condenser at this time.

I haven't even checked yet to see if the compressor turns on/clutch engages. I'm sure there are threads on AT2 overall that would give me much needed insight, but I can't find them.

I do have the FSM, but I guess what I'm looking for is if there have been discoveries made by other FCBO peeps that will make this process easier. Any guidance?

Thanks in advance!

5ED34959-AF1F-4158-A3FF-0E9B3344945E.jpeg

E7BE8413-1BF3-4A26-9471-D08384A4CB11.jpeg

9B809CF7-9723-4CFE-9686-41C94C160B9B.jpeg

26D5A298-4953-42FD-BDF2-6B04679586E1.jpeg

A2161987-3D5E-4AE9-867C-2158EC76D493.jpeg

E6308AA5-C03C-4CB6-B25E-9214D6543185.jpeg

You are absolutely right: is not easy to diagnose or to fix ACC 2, if you don’t have experience. Today I think, only one handful of people in world really know the system. I’ve remanufacturing Servos for years and sold over 1700 in five continents so I know firsthand, how many “ mechanics “ have no clue about the system.

Back