Back from the Dead... 1968 Fury II Custom Suburban Wagon

Darkwolfe

Reaction score
Many moons ago I wandered in here hoping to sort out what my old "Green Monster" really was, what it needed, get it done and on the road again.

Well, life interfered. Thoroughly. So completely in fact, that the Green Monster" went back into storage and stayed there for 15 more years. (This was before I actually joined the forum in 2013, it was in storage at that point.)

The life again and her storage spot was going away. Only this time, I was in much better shape to see about really getting the work done.

Regrettably I am not one of those well-equipped guys with a good space to work in. Nope. I have to go find the guys that park their own old machines out back while they fix the newer things in the shop.
They at least don't cringe when something from the 60s pulls up. To my good fortune, around my area, they're happy to see one running!

So, off to the shop. Rebuilt brakes. Still drums all the way around. Drove it that way in college, I can drive it that way now! (Sure, love to have discs, but not high on the priority list)
Carb got a soaking in cleaner for about three days. That freed up the floats and let the engine start running again.
Transmission... 727.. Fill it back up and go. That was all it needed.
AC.. Nope. That's done. Out and gone. Might put an electric system in down the road. Might stay with the vents and leave it at that.
Suspension- New bushings and new rear shocks. Got the bounce out of it.
Ignition system. Single point is NOT working well for this thing and I'm not getting out a matchbook any more the play with it. Pertronix went in. Major difference in how the car runs there!

What remains... Windshield, gas gauge, interior and paint. Wants- LED lighting. (Pretty minor) Clean up the dash detail (Mostly done, that I can do)

Street legal and on the road though. Wound her up to about 70 on a nice open stretch and it felt the same as it did back in the 90s when I was driving it to college.
Got a couple hundred miles on it last year. Probably do similar this summer if the gas doesn't go too high.

20210423_083605.jpg

20210423_083621.jpg

20210423_083647.jpg

20210423_083701.jpg

20210423_083721.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking wagon, glad to see it up & running again. I had a 2 door formal roof Fury III that same color many years ago. When drum brakes are in good working order and you know how to drive with them they can stop just fine. Thanks for posting the pics.

Very nice wagon there! And I believe those are period correct bumper stickers.

Back