Belt like squeal, not from the belts

jct

Reaction score
68 383

the sound is coming from the back of the engine, no clue what it is

I have not done any engine work to it yet. Only oil changes, sparkplugs and pcv so far.

I s it a standard or auto? Make a video showcasing the sound, please.

That kind of a noise coming from the back of the engine is never a good sign. Try putting the car in gear, does the noise get louder or go away? Could be a failure of the transmission front unit (pump) or clutch pack hung up.

Pull the oil filter and drain the contents onto a rag or paper towels. Are there metal shavings? If so probably a spun bearing someplace. Could also be a broken ring scouring the block.

Just for the heck of it loosen all the belts, if the noise goes away, you probably have a bad water pump or idler bearing, sound can do funny things under the hood because there is all kinds of metal for it to bounce off of.

If this is a stick shift, it could also be a bad pilot bearing on the flywheel/crankshaft.

Dave

That kind of a noise coming from the back of the engine is never a good sign. Try putting the car in gear, does the noise get louder or go away? Could be a failure of the transmission front unit (pump) or clutch pack hung up.

Pull the oil filter and drain the contents onto a rag or paper towels. Are there metal shavings? If so probably a spun bearing someplace. Could also be a broken ring scouring the block.

Just for the heck of it loosen all the belts, if the noise goes away, you probably have a bad water pump or idler bearing, sound can do funny things under the hood because there is all kinds of metal for it to bounce off of.

If this is a stick shift, it could also be a bad pilot bearing on the flywheel/crankshaft.

Dave

If'n it's manual, I'd bet dollars to donuts it's throwout bearing.

Auto? Yank it and rebuild it. 'cause it may only have a couple thousand miles left.

the auto transmission has been rebuilt by A&A transmission this year

i bypassed the idler pulley with a dual water pump pulley

the sound is still there with it in gear

passenger side

driver side

passenger side

the videos doesn't do the squeal justice, it's a lot more noticeable in person.

i can hear it squeal when i rev it too, at first i thought it was a loose ps belt (it's not) then i'm thinking this has been going on longer then the loose belts i thought it was

Last edited:
I didn't really hear anything out of normal, except some loud exhaust. Check everything for loose bolts or leaks. Sometimes, under pressure it could make a whistling / squealing noise.

i am planning on getting the heads rebuilt and a new waldronexhaust next year. i can still live with it till then

Go to home depot buy a 1/2 inch down however long you like. come back and set that thing on the engine in different spots and place your ear on the end of the down. it'll least get you a better idea where the location is.

First video sounds like the pcv whistling. I hear the high pitch noise clear as day.

Back