Best Camshaft ?

Chipo

Reaction score
Hello to all...I have a 68 2dr Polara 383 4bbl still a ways to go of course . am looking for some help choosing a camshaft is a cruiser has stock motor runs great but want to add some pep
stock 4bbl and intake dual exhaust with H pipe stock cam pointless distributor want nice street cam like a 383 magnum cam dont want to go crazy ganna start with a camshaft upgrade
Thanks for some suggestions

Chipo

IMG_7201 (5).PNG

I have had great experience with Hughes Engines cams. Phone Customer service actually gives intelligent recs too.

Comp Cams 268H .474 lift beehive springs,stock pushrods and rockers.
Nice idle where you know there is a cam in it but smooth. excellent throttle repsonse in all RPM ranges.
Keep in mind the cam is just a part of the "package"
When you change one thing,it affects another.
Do your homework to make sure everything works TOGETHER.
Wehn I opted to go with my cam,I upgraded my torque convertor,upgraded the trans,and exhaust.
Also swapped out the rear gears and made sure I had 28 inch tall tires.

Here is a video of my little roller cam in my newyorker, it was custom ground for me by chris straub. It is also completely inappropriate for your application. Sounds wicked dosent it?

Last edited:
One member in here has a Lunati cam which is their modern interpretation of the Chrysler HP cam, which he bought from Summit Racing (for a better normal price). Used in a '68 383 4bbl Sport Fury. He likes it a lot. There is a thread in here on it.

The Hughes Cams are supposed to be ground to use the larger Chrysler lifter diameter, which they claim others were just Chevy lobes, or used to be that way. The Comp 268 is a versatile cam. Key advantage to that cam is that the lobes are assymetrical (open quick, close slow) AND hold the valve open for a full 10 degrees of crankshaft rotation (which I discovered when I chucked one into a 440 short block and checked it out with a dial indicator and degree wheel // a normal cam holds the valve at max lift for only ONE degree of crank rotation, for comparison).

As mentioned, everything needs to work together.

In that orientation, the '70 383/330 "N" C-body cam is the same cam you now have. In my '70 Monaco, with 3.23 gears and P225/75R-15 tires and the OEM Carter AVS, it flat flies. It does not hesitate to send the speedometer needle quickly into the "triple digits" area when nudged a bit. Still works just fine in normal driving, too. That car ALSO has the "small" 727 torque converter, from the factory, too, which probably helps a bit. Takes the "1 quart less" fluid amount when the filter is changed. Everything just works very nicely together.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

If you have less gear ratio than say a 3.23 be very conservative in your cam selection. Probably best to talk to some of the engine builders here with your whole setup and what you want out of it.

Welcome to the forum and nice looking Polara.

Back