Best carburetor cleaner for total soak and rebuild on my wcfb 2530s four barrel?

Rusty Muffler

Reaction score
Being old school, I've always used lacquer thinner. What's the strongest cleaner/chemical that will clean my carb that looks to have been partially submerged in water for quite some time and was frozen.
I sprayed WD40 over it many times and was able to get parts moving, but now I'd like to take it apart and let her soak. I heard a method of cleaning dirty guns was to boil them in water? What's better than lacquer thinner? Paint remover? Not sure about the commercial brands like Berryman, etc.

Gasoline and lacquer thinner are the 2 strongest, and most flammable, things you could use. You aren't going to find the "old school" cleaners we used back in the day, especially in California. I worked for Safety Kleen back in the '80s & '90s and we had this immersion cleaner that smelled like rotten eggs but it was the best for cleaning carb and other parts. It was so strong that Holley carbs, being made of a softer metal, couldn't be left in too long or they would warp. Maybe clean the heavy grime with gasoline and then a conventional carb / throttle body cleaner. Good luck.

Back then, of course, the Berryman's dip gallon can was the best thing that everybody used. You could also buy it in a 1/2 gallon amount too. After the 1 hour soak, then water to neutralize it and compressed air to dry everything (ear protection might not be needed for that last step).

Any of those cleaners will certainly clean the varnish and such, but NOT touch the hard deposits in the venturi cluster passages and drilled calibration holes, which many found out in the middle 1980s when there was one brand of gas which became famous for such deposits (that brand also vanished after that). Those things will need to be removed mechanically. In the one carburetor I fixed like that, it bought a selection of very small twist drills and cleaned the brass idle tubes until I "got brass" in each one.

The OTHER thing you'll need to do is re-seal the gall bearing and solder "plugs" in the main body, if there might be any. Ethanol'd gas will eventually eat the solder, which will then let the staked-in ball bearing seal fall out and cause problems with gas on a hot engine. So look for that sort of thing on your vintage carburetor, too.

Just some thoughts, experiences, and observations,
CBODY67

Thank you all, I just had a thought. Since it appears that the carb was in a drain pan stored somewhere where there was exposure to rain water where the pan filled and partially submerged the carb to water over a period of perhaps years. What do we use to remove water deposits? CLR!!(calcium, lime and rust remover) I'm going to try some tomorrow as I KNOW it works to dissolve scaling caused by water.

I cannot imagine that carburetor can be brought back to life. The deposits you are talking about would be aluminum corrosion from the water submersion. Do you have photos of the carb?

IMG_20231023_172833364.jpg
IMG_20231023_173215164.jpg
IMG_20231023_150949044.jpg
IMG_20231023_151025446.jpg

Apparently, one with this choke setup is hard to find. The Carburetor Center thought they had one and sent me one with the wrong choke. They have no others. Mine has an arm that attaches to a thermo coil in a well beside the carb

IMHO, anything strong enough to clean that carb up is going to affect the material the carb is made from adversely.

That said, a lot of guys have been using Pine-Sol in a ultrasonic cleaner. Even that will damage aluminum if left it too long.

Probably the best way to clean it is to lightly glass bead blast it.

Those methods require equipment that most don't have access to, so the most cost effective way to clean it is buy another one or have a pro like @Dana at Woodruff Carbs see if he can work his magic on it.

I fully understand the desire to put the orig carb back on the motor and all of that. The "factory-designed" fuel curves and all of that, BUT . . . as mundane and "the same" as much of the operating systems might be between the OEM and current AFBs, much less AVS2s and the OEM carb from 60 years ago, the more modern carburetor is definitely a better piece of equipment. Subtle improvements in venturi shapes, better air flow for throttle body size, and other incremental refinements should make the engine run more efficiently and powerfully.

Now . . . as many have seen on the Saturday morning cable TV car shows, ANYTHING is possible with enough time, money, and expertise. As in rebuilding a motor, knock-out all of the plugs, soak the carb in "the solution of choice" to remove the aluminum corrosion, then "rod out" the passages and clean them to their original diameters, mechanically cleaning them JUST to get to a fresh surface, so the same things on the venturi cluster, then chemically wash everything to kill any acidic fluids which might still be in the castings, re-seal the drilled passages as needed. Ensure the orifices and passages in the venturi cluster are open and clean (including the "low speed jet" toward the bottom of the brass idle tubes!).

IF needed, remove the throttle plate screws and remove the plates so the throttle shafts can be removed and their wear surfaces be cleaned/polished, inside and out. Using new and correct screws, re-install the throttle plates and stake the screw ends as the factory did. My 1958 Ford factory service manual mentions doing this with each carb rebuild! Then rebuild the carburetor.

As an additional item, you can take an ignition point file and dress/smooth out any casting flash on the venturi castings for a bit better air flow. Similar on other casting flash in the throttle bores. It can make a difference in how things operate and the engine runs, as can attention to detail to ensure that the air going through the throttle bores meets the least resistance to a smoooth flow.

Now, what I have mentioned is MORE than just slapping some new gaskets onto the cleaned carb castings, but a complete re-manufacturing process to ensure the result is as close to a new carburetor as it can be, for back when it was produced. It WILL take more time. It WILL take more effort and research to see exactly what you have, how it is supposed to work, and how it all should go back together. AND it might take at least a month (or two) to complete the work. It CAN and SHOULD be a labor of love, so you'll have to firmly commit to it up front and then follow through completely to the end.

Buy a quality carb rebuild kit. Look in the FSM to see what the carb-to-manifold base gasket looks like.

For general principles, get an inexpensive digital inside/outside 6" ruler at Harbor Freight (or similar) for a few dollars. Use it to measure the metering rods and such so you can have that knowledge in the future. You'll also need a nice selection of smaller twist drills (used by hand or in a pin vice) to hone the very small calibration orifices, too. Then possibly some small sheets of 600-1000grit abrasive papers that can polish air flow areas.

In the realm of "blueprint rebuild/remanufacturing" process, do inspect and similarly-smooth out any castin0g flash and sharp edges in the intake manifold AND ensure that the exhaust heat passages in the intake manifold are open (so the automatic choke thermostat can get heat to operate). You can also "gasket match" the intake ports in the heads and intake manifold, too, with a flat ane circular files.

Please let us know how things progress as they progress!
CBODY67

Apparently, one with this choke setup is hard to find. The Carburetor Center thought they had one and sent me one with the wrong choke. They have no others. Mine has an arm that attaches to a thermo coil in a well beside the carb
That automatic choke assy looks somewhat common for the middle 1950s or so timeframe. It could well have an internal piston/rod which serves as an internal "choke pull off" mechanism, which can be difficult to make work right (at this point in time, needing particular attention to the bore the piston and rod operate in (looks just like a miniature engine piston!).

Look for downloadable FSMs which might cover that family of Carter Carburetors. www.mymopar.com has expanded their information in that era, but ALSO look at www.jholst.net for 1955-era information, too. Look first for that particular carb family, THEN worry about the particular model year, engine/model application, and the particular carb number last.

You might also enlarge your knowledge of the earlier Carter 4bbls by also searching for similar carburetors in the archived information on similar model year Buick websites.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

CARTER WCFB CARBURETOR​

View attachment 628023

Canadian dollar cheap for you.

CARTER WCFB CARBURETOR​

View attachment 628023

Canadian dollar cheap for you.
Thanks but wrong choke. I bought a 2302sa from Abloch and it's on it's way. Now I still need an original dipstick tube.

This is what I use. Always does a good job. Costs about $50.00 on Ebay.

View attachment 628209
Yep, that's what all of the shops around here used. Neat little basket came submerged in the fluid. They had a gallon version, but many auto supplies sold the 1/2 gallon version for "hobby" guys.

A friend had a gallon of it sitting on a concrete floor at a shop we shared. It was several years old and the outer bead on the bottom rusted, so a leak happened. He had to pay for re-doing the floor in the next door dance studio because of that. So pay attention to the bottom of the metal jug!

CBODY67

Back