BEST OCTANE BOOSTER? HOME MADE EVEN?

A gallon or 2 of E85 will bring you up a few numbers. Just make sure you run it out before winter storage.

You would have to jet up a few numbers probably for that much ethanol but that would dispatch the rattle for sure.

Kevin

You could buy a drum of race gas and mix it in.

Octane Mix Calculator - Wallace Racing

I've never seen any good results from dumping in a can of "octane booster". Any chemical that you mix in, that will actually do anything, is something you don't want to get on you. I read something once about chemicals... If it's on you, it's in you.

If you're near an airport, there's 100LL av gas. I've used it at 10 to 20% with premium unleaded. It about $4.25 a gallon here in southeastern PA

If you're near an airport, there's 100LL av gas. I've used it at 10 to 20% with premium unleaded. It about $4.25 a gallon here in southeastern PA
Some even have 110LL, at a slightly higher cost of course!

Just curious, might those de-icing agents be alcohol-based?

I used to use this stuff in my modified turbo MR2 and it allowed me to run higher boost and slightly more advanced timing before onset of knock. But I just found a site that did testing on a bunch of boosters and this only came in 5th. https://nitrous.com.au/octane-booster-shootout/
upload_2020-11-8_7-30-45.png

Also, regarding water/meth injection, that can raise octane too, but not as much as injecting 100% methanol. I've been there/done that and, at least in my experience, I got more power injecting 100% methanol than 50/50. Once E85 became available to me locally, I put a flex fuel sensor on it and got it tuned with straight E85 and surprisingly (or not) it made almost exactly the same power on E85 as 93 octane+methanol injection. 335whp on 93 at 17psi, 390 on E85, 394 on 93+meth at 23psi.

The nice thing about meth or water/meth injection is you only use it when you need it. With race gas, additives, etc. you're burning them all the time even when you're just crusing.

Folks shouldn't introduce odd hydrocarbons into their gasoline without CAREFUL RESEARCH. People prize good high OCTANE precisely because THERE REALLY IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR THIS ALKANE! Alkanes have a specific enthalpy to each one, and consist of SINGLE C-C bonds surrounding the rest of the carbons with simple hydrogen. The ONLY substitute for octane in my book would be a methyl heptane (7 carbon with 1 extra carbon attached to one of the 5 middle Cs, thus the methyl-designation) or an ETHYL hexane which would have 2 carbons strung to one of the four middle ones. Any other isomers than these will deviate too far from the simple 8 carbon, single bonded chain and its energy properties.

Suffice to say, damned TOLUENE, like NAPTHALENE* DISSOLVED IN METHANOL ("hillbilly octane"), BENZENE, CAMPHOR and other sundry aromatics might temporarily get an engine to run hot and hard, but they mostly will wreck one, leaving EXTREMELY CARCINOGENIC RESIDUES to remove.

I say stick with aviation gasoline as an octane rich source. One can blend to whatever level desired below the highest octane source purity. The one great obstacle to this approach lies in the fact that premium crude mineral oil, the "light" or "sweet" crude once pumped from Pennsylvania, Texas and Libya, no longer abounds so in those places as it did in the days of the C body. I think it should be relatively easy to synthesize octane from methane, but this may become politically impossible for environmental reasons....

Back