Best Way to Access Turn Signal Flasher Relay in 1978 NY

Sport Fury 67

Reaction score
Has anyone have experience on the best way to access this relay?

Here is my issue. All the lights associated with the turn signals work with the 4-way Hazards.
However, I do not have anything for the left or right signaling lamp(s) from the column turn-stalk, but, the appropriate side cornering lights do come on, so we are ruling out the steering column switch plate. So, we are betting on the 40 yr old bi-metallic relay is bad.

According to the shop manual, the relay is "located on top of the steering column". I physically can not see the signal flasher with the lower access plate removed from under the steering column or looking up from the floorboards.

My next move it to remove the IP panel / dash and go in from the top. Before I start tearing into this, I would like to ask if this is the best way to access the turn signal flasher relay.

After that, I have to find someone who sells them.

If memory serves, the turn signal flasher for that car is up on the fuse block. I may be wrong though....

What manual are you using? The genuine factory service manual?

Hi John, Yes, using the factory manual. Your are correct, the hazard light flasher relay is on the fuse block. The turn signal flasher is a different component.

Most of the '70's c-bodies have the turn signal flasher mounted to a spring clip bracket on the steering column support, If your car has air, you may need to remove the driver side air delivery tube to gain access. Usually there will be a screw that holds the molded tube in place and it will drop down easily once the screw is removed. If that is where the flasher is, you should be able to see it looking up with the tube removed. Check the fuse block to be sure the fuse is not burned out. Resistance type flasher units are still sold by CarCrap and AutoBone but they are china crap. Try to locate a TungSol unit, US made and good quality.

Dave

Thanks Dave. Yes, I have AC (thank goodness it is the manual unit). This explains why I can no see it, you saved me a lot of time. The last time the signal flasher was working, is sounded off- funny, more of a high pitched "ting" instead of the crisp "click". The next time I was driving, it went out all together. The weather in Chicago has been good this year, so I am still taking her out on the weekends.

Found it. It is not located on the top of the steering column, but on a steel bracket located on the Heat/AC duct, behind the brake pedal. See the photos, hope this helps.

IMG_1652.jpg
IMG_1650.jpg

Back