borgesson upgrade steering pump

Mikec2

Reaction score
Hi everyone I have 62 chrysler 300 .Power steering pump got very noisy sounded like it was seizing during a drive, fluid foamy , never lost power assist though. was looking into borgesson upgrade pump setup with brackets. car has 73 440 hp in it and original trw pump setup was wondering if any fitment issues and if anyone has used it. taking apart original pump to see whats up, but would rather upgrade Thanks

Hi everyone I have 62 chrysler 300 .Power steering pump got very noisy sounded like it was seizing during a drive, fluid foamy , never lost power assist though. was looking into borgesson upgrade pump setup with brackets. car has 73 440 hp in it and original trw pump setup was wondering if any fitment issues and if anyone has used it. taking apart original pump to see whats up, but would rather upgrade Thanks

Obviously it's up to you, but I would stick with rebuilding your current pump or searching eBay or other Mopar sites for a replacement if something inside the pump is shot. It's not overly difficult with a new seal kit. The other component in play here will be your steering box since the two work in tandem together. I wonder if the fluid is foamy due to a mixture of power steering fluid and tranny fluid? I've heard of some using tranny fluid rather than power steering fluid and the tranny fluid can eat away at some of the seals. Or quite simply, it could be the fluid needs to be changed.

In regard to your question about Borgesson, I have not used their product so I'm afraid I can't comment on it, but I know that simply changing the fluid and rebuilding your pump would be cheaper than buying a new Borgesson pump I suspect.

Thanks for all the info. Lares is also an exchange rebuilder. 500 core charge and 140 rebuild. Not bad. Thought maybe new setup , will have to check the others mentioned

Either the Borgesson pumps or the gearboxes themselves are noisy - not sure which. All I know is that folks that have changed over to the Boregsson steering system complain about a lot of noise.....................

I'd look at using a Saginaw pump. Bouchillon and others have the brackets and the pumps aren't hard to come by.

That is if you really want to change pumps.

Are you using power steering fluid? Lots of people use ATF but it's been my experience that when I see a power steering "issue" (usually a leak) the fluid is red.

Back