Brake light wires? '75 Imperial

1975.Imperial

Reaction score
The latest project on the Imperial is fixing the brake lights, when I got the car it looked like the wires had been chewed up but after looking at it a bit it looks like somebody went in there with some pliers and enough motivation to cut a bunch of stuff but not finish the job. Which leads me to the question, can somebody help me with what wires go where and do what? These are all the damaged wires I could find, note that there's a yellow wire that's been connected to a red one in the 1st picture. the car is a 1975 Imperial with cruise

tempImageN3vi8X.png

tempImageFffHDF.png

tempImageIprqhX.png

tempImage6Lb9Tc.png

tempImageAWsmJX.png

Good Morning
The Factory Service Manual (FSM) is the best tool you will ever use.
Service Manuals – MyMopar
Note: They only go up to '72 with Imperials, however it would be a good starting point as Chrysler did not change color codes for wiring very often.
Omni

As well as a soldering iron a heat gun/heat shrink.

Those Scotch Lock connections, and other probably weakly crimped connectors are completely unacceptable.

I'll take a look in my FSM later today, but for now, my guess is your brake light switch needed replacing in the past and some PO got creative with that

Typical U-Haul quickie while you wait installation, Scotch Locks from one of the taillights.

More likely it had a hitch and electric trailer brakes.
Yes, I forgot to mention that it has a hitch and trailer brake socket. It looks factory to me but I have no backstory whatsoever on the car and haven't been able to remove a build sheet in good condition

Good Morning
Service Manuals – MyMopar
Note: They only go up to '72 with Imperials, however it would be a good starting point as Chrysler did not change color codes for wiring very often.
Omni
Thank you, I've been looking for one to buy locally but haven't had any luck yet. I'll see if the '72 wiring is similar

Not sure cars left the factory or dealer ready to tow, but if they had, you wouldn't see butchered wiring like that.

Usually takes a few hours to sort something like this out, redo all the connections properly, solder and heat shrink, and make sure all grounds are clean, light sockets not corroded, etc.

You can get a lot of weird "feedback" issues from funky wiring or a defective turn signal switch, like pushing on the brake and having parking lights come on in the grill, etc.

What the aircraft industry calls "gremlins".

Don't know how accurate the FSM is, but this would also have me thinking Imperials didn't come with trailor tow:

1664482221032.png

1664482206180.png

Good Morning
I you are not going to use the Imperial as a tow vehicle, remove all the associated wiring and attachments. Less to give you 'headaches' down the road.
Once removed, repair/replace whatever is needed with solder splices (as previously outlined) to return the wiring to the original configuration.
Lots of wires under the dash. No need to add to them unless needed.

Omni

75 Imperials could be ordered with the trailer towing package from the factory. Code A35:

75_Imperial_0014.jpg

The pics you provided are such that I cannot help...I cannot tell if the wires there are from the brake switch (should be purple and white with blue and blue with red trace for the Cruise function.

Back