Brake switch removal

Zaggart

Reaction score
Hey All,

I think I've narrowed down my brake light issue to the switch itself since I only get brakes on the right but if I jiggle the switch I then only get them on the left. Bulbs are all new, fuses are fine and the pink wire appears to be intact.

It looks like this, how do I remove it easily? Does the metal collar twist one way and just pop out? I have limited back mobility to screw around with it, just finding it's location was pretty excruciating. I most certainly will break it otherwise.

Thanks!

brake switch.png

Good Morning
Looks like the collar is broken.
If memory serves me correctly, the collar is part of the switch. The whole assembly 'pops' into the mounting hole on the bracket. The raise section on the collsr secure it to the bracket.

Omni

Thanks Omni, sorry I should've mentioned this is a replacement example pic. The existing one is still in there collar and all, I just couldn't navigate the phone and myself to take a decent pic.

I'm guessing I just yank on the collar with a pair of pliers?

Good Morning
Might be easier to remove the switch and bracket as one. Then you can do 'surgery' much easier.
The re-install of the switch and bracket is not bad as you will see the marks where it was bolted up. Once reinstalled a service manual will give the steps to verify that it is working correctly.
Personally, I would set it so that a 1/4" depression on the brake pedal will activate it.
Good Luck and God Speed.
Omni

Good Morning
Might be easier to remove the switch and bracket as one. Then you can do 'surgery' much easier.
The re-install of the switch and bracket is not bad as you will see the marks where it was bolted up. Once reinstalled a service manual will give the steps to verify that it is working correctly.
Personally, I would set it so that a 1/4" depression on the brake pedal will activate it.
Good Luck and God Speed.
Omni
Good idea, I will do that! Thanks!

Back