Bulbs?

66SportFury

Reaction score
Hey guys! Is there a brighter bulb that can be installed for dash lights? Maybe LED's??

Hey guys! Is there a brighter bulb that can be installed for dash lights? Maybe LED's??

I replaced all the dash bulbs with LED's in Jazebelle when I had the dash apart. I'm sorry I did now. Incandesent bulbs give off a brighter "glow". The LEDs seem to be a more direct light pattern and appear dimmer.
I went back and changed the ones I could easily access.

There's different wattages of the same size bulbs available.
There are charts where you take the # of your bulb and will give you base style, dimensions, and wattage.
I've always been able to find higher wattage versions of the stock bulb.
Refer to the manual to find the # of the bulb and then let Google will be your fishing rod.

Last edited:
head over to FBBO. There are a few really good threads there on led lighting. One thing of note: LED bulbs do not work very well where the light uses a reflector. Example: tail lights.

LED's also can't be used as turn signals in a lot of older cars. It's a resistance/relay thing....

Gotta ya. I'll pull them out and see what they are. Just looking for a brighter dash.

There's different wattages of the same size bulbs available.
QUOTE]
That is a good point. I bought my LED's off ebay where they were advertized as direct replacements for existing dash bulbs, (T10, I think).
I just assumed, (theres that troublesome word again), that they would be brighter.

Gotta remember that a brighter bulb creates more heat, and that could be a problem in a confinded area like a dash.

I'm pretty sure the factory spec was #158, I typicaly use the 194 which is a little brighter.

There are a couple others listed but I do not recal if they are a comon bulb found in the auto part stores

158 0.24 amps
194 0.27 amps
193 0.33 amps
168 0.35 amps

More amps=brighter

Alan

If you haven't checked already, its worth the trouble to check the voltage coming from your dimmer/headlight switch. My dash was very dim, and during the troubleshooting process I was testing the voltage at the bulb socket and found it to be only ~9.6 volts with the dimmer turned all the way up (or down if you're a glass half empty kind of guy). After further inspection, the voltage drop was due to 50 years of corrosion and wear on the rheostat of the switch. Long story short, replaced switch assembly and saw a drastic improvement (although definitely not bright by modern standards).

If you haven't checked already, its worth the trouble to check the voltage coming from your dimmer/headlight switch. My dash was very dim, and during the troubleshooting process I was testing the voltage at the bulb socket and found it to be only ~9.6 volts with the dimmer turned all the way up (or down if you're a glass half empty kind of guy). After further inspection, the voltage drop was due to 50 years of corrosion and wear on the rheostat of the switch. Long story short, replaced switch assembly and saw a drastic improvement (although definitely not bright by modern standards).

Easier yet, just bypass it.
That is my plan.

Alan

I replaced all the dash bulbs with LED's in Jazebelle when I had the dash apart. I'm sorry I did now. Incandesent bulbs give off a brighter "glow". The LEDs seem to be a more direct light pattern and appear dimmer.
I went back and changed the ones I could easily access.

I was thinking about going with something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-White...ries&hash=item3f24bab5ef&vxp=mtr#ht_884wt_918

They appear to have an omnidirectional thing going for them, is this the type you used??

If LED is for you this would be the correct style, not saying how well they will work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/371011200794

Alan

Well, not sure if I'm pro-LED or not... But, yes those are correct for my gauge clusters. I also have several W51 and W53's too, some in the dash and some in the console (tach and gear shift). I really liked the idea of using them in the floorboard lights (located in the console), the doors, C-pillars and dome light. I'm thinking the lower heat generated would help prevent the discoloration of the lenses.
I was thinking they would be brighter than their incandescent counterparts, but if that not the general opinion, I think I'm going to rethink things....

What is the difference between Narrow and Wide viewing angle?

Some of our bulbs are available with Narrow or Wide viewing angle. The Wide angle (approx. 100 degree beam) will light up more area but dimmer than the Narrow angle. The Narrow angle (approx. 15 degree) will illuminate a smaller area but brighter than the Wide angle. We also offer bulbs with some LEDs aiming out the end of the bulb and some radially mounted LEDs aiming out the sides of the bulb. These will provide a more complete and even light pattern on the vehicle lens.
Personally, I'd just skip all the LED BS and just make sure the regular lighting system is 100% up to snuff. Go up to a higher wattage if need be.
Leave the LED stuff to the AutoZone fanboys.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd just skip all the LED BS and just make sure the regular lighting system is 100% up to snuff. Go up to a higher wattage if need be.
Leave the LED stuff to the AutoZone fanboys.

Probably not a bad idea, I was just trying to do my part to combat global warming...

Personally, I'd just skip all the LED BS and just make sure the regular lighting system is 100% up to snuff.

Yeah ..... best idea.

Probably not a bad idea, I was just trying to do my part to combat global warming...

After this winter I think we need to do what we can to warm things up....

Back