Burnouts

You can try a proportioning valve that allow to block the brake fluid to the rear whells... I did it in the past, many times. 2,76 gears, open.

5º Sabado Bandido1.jpeg

first:
if you are doing a burnout, let the car shift into 2nd before you let it catch traction, coming out of a burnout in 1st then allowing the car to hook can hurt a 727.

second:
throw the book out on the timing, put as much initial in it as it can take without pinging on what ever fuel you run. When my motor was stock, i had it timed by the book, and found it wanted quite a few degrees more timing initial, which really woke it up, burnouts for days. 66 newyorker, and at that time it was 4767 lbs with 2:73 gears with 275/60 tires.

Car is now a 505 stroker with 3:23's and a detroit locker. I time it the same way.

Not sure what a “J patch” is
Reverse float is what I've heard it called if I am understanding correctly.

You start in reverse, get rolling backwards, slip it into neutral and rev it up high while still moving backwards. Then slam drive. The patch it leaves look like Js.

I dont recommend this.

:rofl:
Reverse float is what I've heard it called if I am understanding correctly.

You start in reverse, get rolling backwards, slip it into neutral and rev it up high while still moving backwards. Then slam drive. The patch it leaves look like Js.

I dont recommend this.
I won’t be doing those.

Two words.

Line Lock.

Cost you $100 or so. Splice it into the front brake line. Push the brakes hard, hit the button, release the brake. Fry tires. Release button.

That's the way the cool kids do it.

Two words.

Line Lock.

Cost you $100 or so. Splice it into the front brake line. Push the brakes hard, hit the button, release the brake. Fry tires. Release button.

That's the way the cool kids do it.

I've gotta ask John...is there added benefit to this? Ease of breaking them loose? Not tearing up the shoes and drums in addition to more smoke and wheel speed? Less stress on the trans/drivetrain?

One thing . . . cheap tires, no sticky "summer-only" or similar tire compounds. Narrow tread widths help, too.

When I was in high school, a friend pulled up by the band hall door in a '64 Polara 318 2drht. He smiled and asked if I thought he could lay rubber all the way to the street. I laughed after he said it had a 318 in it. But then, as we were talking, he punched "R" and rolled backward a foot or so, then simultaneously punched "D" and floored it. The rh rr tire started spinning and would have spun as long as he had the throttle in it. At least 100 ft. After similar antics at other times, I heard that the trans went away several weeks later.

DO get that driveshaft loop, though! ONLY do them in "D" or "2", so the over-running clutch can stay together.

LOL . . . considering that the EPA has a "10 second smoke rule" on diesel pickups with altered tuning, might consider limiting the time of these spectacles to 9 seconds, for good measure.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

F THE EPA AND ALL THE OTHER ALPHABET AGENCIES!
LOL . . . considering that the EPA has a "10 second smoke rule" on diesel pickups with altered tuning, might consider limiting the time of these spectacles to 9 seconds, for good measure.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

F THE EPA AND ALL THE OTHER ALPHABET AGENCIES!
After seeing some of the "diesel people" blow enough black smoke to filter out the sun, from a stop at a red light, in traffic, that's not good for traffic safety. To them, black smoke = power, as misguided as that might seem. Bad thing is, no tire tracks to back it up!

I've gotta ask John...is there added benefit to this? Ease of breaking them loose? Not tearing up the shoes and drums in addition to more smoke and wheel speed? Less stress on the trans/drivetrain?
All of the above, but it's really about the ease of use. Really easy to get the tires turning with the front brakes locked and more control as tires break loose because the car is sitting still.

We used it back when we were racing... Lock the fronts up and start in second (manual shift automatic) then immediately shift to third. Of course, we were looking to heat the slicks and not put on a show, so the throttle was eased off when the line lock was released. Then a dry chirp or two and stage.

The Fury in the pic was using a line lock to hold the car (this was in Carlisle when they had contests) as they required a stationary burnout. My buddy Bruce owned the car at the time.

This car (below) also was line lock equipped and was done for a local contest using a junk Chrysler at least 30 years ago. Yea, I'm behind the wheel. We didn't win... Long story... We should have, but the "fix" was in.

scan0003.jpg

All of the above, but it's really about the ease of use. Really easy to get the tires turning with the front brakes locked and more control as tires break loose because the car is sitting still.

We used it back when we were racing... Lock the fronts up and start in second (manual shift automatic) then immediately shift to third. Of course, we were looking to heat the slicks and not put on a show, so the throttle was eased off when the line lock was released. Then a dry chirp or two and stage.

The Fury in the pic was using a line lock to hold the car (this was in Carlisle when they had contests) as they required a stationary burnout. My buddy Bruce owned the car at the time.

This car (below) also was line lock equipped and was done for a local contest using a junk Chrysler at least 30 years ago. Yea, I'm behind the wheel. We didn't win... Long story... We should have, but the "fix" was in.

View attachment 492471

I hate rigged contests/elections.

Maybe I'll put line lock on one of my cars to take a little strain off of everything.

View attachment 492471
I think I’m sold on the line lock idea. Thanks everyone!

You don't need a line lock, your feet can do the same thing for free. Just play with the car a bit, and you'll figure it out.

You don't need a line lock, your feet can do the same thing for free. Just play with the car a bit, and you'll figure it out.

As much as I agree with this, line locks are easier on rear brake parts and also drivelines.
If stationary burnouts are what you're after, it's a great addition.

Edit: Is there a burnout picture/video thread for C's? This would be a great place to start one.

As much as I agree with this, line locks are easier on rear brake parts and also drivelines.
If stationary burnouts are what you're after, it's a great addition.

Edit: Is there a burnout picture/video thread for C's? This would be a great place to start one.
Its over on the drydock. Check it out sometime!

interesting thread, nothing wrong with burning rubber on asphalt :thumbsup:

elections... they used to be a childish contest of mudslinging and dirt throwing about differing political agendas. Now the dumases have made it a fight to the death. right wing / left wing , its the same bird!
Think about it, the eagle can't fly straight with one wing flappin in the breeze.

Not sure what a “J patch” is
It's what Ferds have to do to get black rubber marks on the road!... no seriously when I was a young lad when me and my compatriots in the neighborhood got bored and got up to devious adventures, one day a friend down the street figured out we could take his mom's brand new 1967 Ford Fairlane 2dr HT (red with a black vinyl top) Big Block 390 2bbl when they left the keys in the house while they went on vacation (or a business trip who knows) on a little spin! They left him to be 'man of the house' and take care of his 2 younger sisters so why not? I'm not going to try and pinpoint how old we were then, but they got wise to it real quick and the keys were no longer to be found when his parents went on a little <ahem> 'Romantic Adventure' lol like I said who knows but him and his sister got memento trinkets from Florida when they came back so... LOL welp by then missing keys were no problem to our ever expanding youthful knowledge, we by then knew how to hot wire a car via the under-hood trick but also knew (or thought) the battery won't get charged or the points will fry but we weren't electrical Einsteins (yet) so we (I, raise hand) un-clipped the back of the plastic wiring connector off the ignition switch (remember it's 1967) and I think it had abbreviations for pwr/ign/str so we just put in little jumper wires to get a fully functioning auto (without blowing any fuses first time!) So we're off to the races, where to go? Up the coast to a friends beach house but it's off season so no one will be around. Now back to the post question, J PATCH TIME! I don't know where I learned this at such a young age, maybe it was my sharp brain and in some of the knowledge I picked up spending time hanging out at the gas station down the road or going for a thrill ride in someone I met there clapped out 1957 Chevy Bel Air 2dr sdn 327 (nope everyone knew it was a 283 billy) 4bbl 4spd, first experience I had of anyone 'Power Shifting' a car! WHOO HOO!
So me and my friend are up on a deserted stretch of newly paved road leading to the beach houses and nobodies around and he try's to lay some rubber just by stomping on the gas, no luck, not even squealing tires, remember it's a 2bbl 390, so after several more tries with the same result I suggest doing a J-Patch. Whats that? He says... I tell'em put it in reverse go backwards for a way then shift to drive and floor it. Well we did get results with some black rubber on the road but not the tire roasting pile of smoke we so desired and I was about to come out with that so often phrase I had with him 'Here let me do it' but I knew that wasn't going to happen so I reiterated "put it in reverse and floor it, then just jam it down into low real quick and don't let up on the gas" <shy boi>
RESULTS! Plenty of tire smoke and Dualies! The J hook part was about 20 feet long and the forward motion dual patch was over 100 feet before it settled down and grabbed, I'm really surprised he kept it to the floor for that long. The grins on our faces was priceless! And we didn't brag about it either as his parents had a beach house there and when summer rolled around people were still talking about the 'Drag Strip' patch. Of course he would point the finger at me and blame me if we got caught, but since he was several years older than me he got his licence soon after that and his own car, don't think I remember him ever driving his mothers car after that, I think I saw him once on a date in the car, but not much, never heard that the car had transmission problems and they still had the car when he came home from the Marines with his Shelby so I guess that says something for Ford transmissions.

Never had to do a J Patch with my 440's, but circle patches? that's another story...

:lol::steering:

Back