C body Chrysler value seemingly on the rise

I think the C bodies, esp. Chryslers, are just not attractive to a lot of people which suits me just fine as I can enjoy them without having to spend all my retirement savings!

Most people I have encountered have emotional or sentimental attachment/reasons why they want a C body. Myself included.

For me, the prospect of c body prices going up is an unwelcome one. Flippers and speculators have been inflating old car prices for years. My ‘71 Newport is a very nice survivor that I bought from the original owner’s family for a very reasonable price. I’ve been looking at old car websites for years. Before that I would routinely search Hemings, the auto traders and the for sale ads in local papers, so I’m aware of what sells and for what price. The first time I made a serious inquiry was 7 or 8 years ago. It was a well cared for ‘69 Road Runner for sale by the original owner. It was an unmolested survivor with a bench seat, 383 4bbl, and a torqueflite and the guy wanted $35k for it. I’d already been looking long enough to know that that was a fairly typical price for a decent b body. I decided not to buy and saw the same car listed about a year later for $39k. The thing is, I bought the Newport for a fraction of that, and even though the Runner was in good shape, the Newport is actually better. It’s nice to know that my car increasing in value, but it’s not important to me as I don’t plan on selling. I’ve taken it to local shows and cruises and it gets lots of attention and compliments and that’s enough for me. C bodies are kinda off the radar and that’s a double edged sword. They’re still affordable, but they don’t have a lot of support from the restoration industry. C bodies may never become as popular as b bodies or any of the other muscle cars. But with b body prices out of control and a bodies following, how can the average person get into the hobby? I was at one local show and a young guy who was at most, 35, came over and was very interested in my car. We talked for quite a while and he wanted to show me his car. I went to look, and there was his ‘67 Newport 4dr sedan. It was a solid survivor with patina and slightly scruffy interior, but he was proud to show it off and I congratulated him for it. We need more young guys like that in the hobby, not someone who’s looking to turn a profit.

I am 26 and love these cars. Do we have any else in my age bracket on here or is it just me?

I am 26 and love these cars. Do we have any else in my age bracket on here or is it just me?
We have a couple of guys your age who are very talented with these cars, they have the passion and knowledge, and drive to get them on the road. We even have some teenagers who are members, and they are trying to absorb as much information as they can relating to their cars. There is hope for the younger crowd to carry the torch. :thumbsup:

I believe @ImpJay is younger. 19 years old? This could make for an interesting thread in itself. You younger ones will inherit the legacy of all our vehicles (A-B-E-C-D- As well as F-M-J-R and others...)

Last edited:
Yes, I am 19 years old.

Great to have another young old soul on here. Im going to have to change my signature from probably the youngest member on C Bodies to the 2nd youngest. Haha

I turned 70 this last summer and still find it hard to believe. I look at some of the cars owned by others and think, man it would be great if they would leave that car to me so I can carry on the tradition.

And then I realize I'm probably at least as old as them or older. . . . . .

There has been a definite increase in C body values in the last 7 years. As Old Mike said the cost to own a A,B,E body of any real value has shifted the market, with prices averaging 55,000.00 to 90,000.00 has impacted the entry level beginner collector. The choice of a 25 to 30 thousand muscle car in need of significant repairs vs a almost turn key C body raises the value of our cars. Under the current economic conditions combined the demand for quality cars has raised the C body value. Flippers will askew the value numbers somewhat. That is a nuisance topic we will always have. Keeping that in mind an increase in car prices will always be a good thing. Having new blood like 71Polara383,ImpJay,Kingbowel93 goes to prove the demand for our cars will always continue. Even as the baby boomers die off, the demand for good quality cars has shown they are in demand by how fast they sell.

We would do well if c bodies continue to stay somewhat off the radar. Finding a nice survivor is still possible. The genuine Mopar muscle a,b, and e bodies have been or are being nut and bolted and body offed to the prices David is talking about while base model cars are starting to be snapped up by builders. When’s the last time you saw a nice clean Dart with a slant 6? Cars like that are being turned into restomodded pro touring monsters selling for equally monstrous money. Everyone to their own tastes, but for people who appreciate a car in original or near original form, we may soon be running out of choices.

Yep, the c body crowd is a bit different. These are mopar’s best built cars imo.
I joke with my car buddies that the next craze will be restoring those 340 clones back to their original slant six Twister models.

I've been on C body boards for gotta be 23 years now. This same discussion comes up every several years. The same answers are there just the dollar amounts are different.

When I purchased the Polara this February, it was a matter of price. I could not have purchased a B,C,E, or A body in driving condition for what I paid. And while not a convertible fan, the car is growing on me.
Parts for sure are difficult to find, but I'm thankful for what is available, something I wouldn't have imagined 20 to 30 years ago. Parts then were gleaned from endless junkyard searches and frustrating walks through swap meets. You had word of mouth, not the interwebs back then. While that could be frustrating, its much worse not to find parts in swap meets and yards.
Mz. Ruby won't be going anywhere soon. Every repair and new part added makes driving her that much more enjoyable.

There has been a definite increase in C body values in the last 7 years. As Old Mike said the cost to own a A,B,E body of any real value has shifted the market, with prices averaging 55,000.00 to 90,000.00 has impacted the entry level beginner collector. The choice of a 25 to 30 thousand muscle car in need of significant repairs vs a almost turn key C body raises the value of our cars. Under the current economic conditions combined the demand for quality cars has raised the C body value. Flippers will askew the value numbers somewhat. That is a nuisance topic we will always have. Keeping that in mind an increase in car prices will always be a good thing. Having new blood like 71Polara383,ImpJay,Kingbowel93 goes to prove the demand for our cars will always continue. Even as the baby boomers die off, the demand for good quality cars has shown they are in demand by how fast they sell.

I agree, I have also noticed them on the rise the last 7 years or so. I also notice more slabs for sale that sit a while. But when a fusie pops up it is usually gone pretty fast, especially when a 2 door.

I believe the market in Europe seems to be flat or declining some due to the economic outlook in Germany and other parts of Europe being downward. Still though, I have put cars up for sale in the U.S. that are more of a project than well finished like the ones I sell in Europe and other parts of the world. The cars I try to sell in the U.S. need some attention but are solid foundations for a restoration. I recently sold a 1970 Chrysler 300 convertible to a young couple who were into C bodies, and I sold it real cheap just to keep their interest going. The husband wanted the 1970 convertible to complement his wife's 1971 Chrysler 300 coupe that she recently inherited. They are really into these cars, so I thought losing money on the convertible would be a good move to help keep the interest up where it is possible. They live in Wyoming.

I also sold a car to Austria recently in the teens but it was perhaps the best one I have yet sold over there and runs just like new with working ice-cold a/c. They buyer frequents this site from time to time and may update us with some photos when he gets it. Here is a teaser of what he got (B7 blue):

View attachment 330408

Most of the cars I sell overseas, though, are very nice, well sorted out cars that the new owners can just get in and drive and enjoy them without surprises. I have not sold a car in the last few years overseas that wasn't in the teens, but I also think the interest is down some due to world economic recession fears and the tariff threats from this administration and attendant world unease as the U.S. relationships/treaties with our allies are broken while China seems to be growing and Russia seems to be gaining world influence.

Would mind telling me how much you sold your 70 Convertible for? I have one and I am thinking of selling it. Thank you

Back