Can I have some 63 880 custom assistance?

FEandGoingBroke

Reaction score
The websites I’ve found skip over the 63, here’s my tags, I know the engine is a 65 transplant, but I’m interested in what the 880 was originally equipped with.

Thanks folks!

0120 under 1234
8267 under 6789
Several spaces and 593
Several spaces and 21
ABC-etc
2 under A
8under H
5 under K
3 under P
2 under V
DSO number
0120 two spaces and 8267
Body 593
Trim 584
Paint 99

A725D6A2-63C3-4583-81E7-E42E39EAFEF1.jpeg

994CD23B-BF16-44AA-A3BD-3515935A17CB.jpeg

From the codes on serial number tag and fender tag that Dodge Custom 880 is most likely a police car

Here’s info on decode:
Serial number tag 59 33219427
5= Dodge Custom 880
9= police car
3= 1963 model year
3= assembly plant Jefferson
Last 6 digits = 219427 car built

Fender Tag
Body 593 decodes SAME as above

paint code most likely is “999” the last digit not readable since tag is rusted away.
999 = special order color

There is NO way to know for certain the exact color as mopar coded any non-standard color with 999.

You rock! Is the engine code on the data plate? Or rear gears code on that plate like on ford’s?

I’m currently restoring a 71 Challenger for a customer, there was a build sheet under the back seat. Did they use them in 63? Should I be looking?

Last edited:
You rock! Is the engine code on the data plate? Or rear gears?

I’m currently restoring a 71 Challenger for a customer, there was a build sheet under the back seat. Did they use them in 63? Should I be looking?
The engine is coded on these early style tags using the alphabet with corresponding numbers listed for the options.

Usually the engine is designated under the “AB” so it should be 2 numbers.

You only listed one number under the letter A is there another number under the B ?

However, each assembly plant used different codes and sequences. Can make it difficult to decipher.

Yes - the early cars have buildsheets but they look totally different than the the later style.

There isn’t any numbers that aren’t in the list except for the third 9 at the bottom right edge of the tag.

I zoomed in, is this the area? And is it common for a 63 to have a paper build sheet inside? All the doors are frozen shut, I literally had to work 45 minutes with hammer chisel and torch on drivers door to free the latch wheel. They are a terrible design to say the least.

D873BD9D-FBA6-4AEA-B179-7770E371FFA0.jpeg

7F4FD73F-53DE-4AD1-8052-AFFE252795B4.jpeg

I don't know about it in the Ford community, but the old cop cars are kind of precious to many Mopar guys.

It may be best to think about resale (and not cut any more holes LOL) of the car once you pull the engine rather than scrapping.

There’s was literally no way to open the doors otherwise, I really hated doing it and the torch and hammer abs chisel, but the window regulators are also seized up? I sat in the car, nothing will open.

And great idea about helping out mabury fans and the like. Unfortunately my guy can’t find his title.

Last edited:
Yes the door hinges and latches on 60-64 full size cars are a problem. They need to be lubed more often than never, then they work just fine. But when they sit they get stuck.

Last edited:
The hinges are great, but the striker and latch wheel have to be the single most ridiculous design in the history of automobiles since the flint stone roll cage….

The shaft of the striker wheel is fully exposed to the dripping rain, extremely limited access to lubricate it from inside the door or through the jamb when closed because of the catch design…. That’s why it took my brilliant *** 45 minutes to free it up enough to open after cutting through the door skin with my nibbler.

Anyhow, does anyone know if the 63 model would have come with a paper build sheet? Normally hidden under carpets, kick panels or in the springs under front or rear seats.

Other ideas that may have been shared by @Fury Pursuit is on the back of the glove box liner or in the springs of the seat back. Unforutuately it could be anyware in the interior, you may have to remove the entire interior before finding it. Good luck in the search and I agree with @Big_John, the 63 Dodge wasn't the most popular police car and the more information you can find, the more valuable it "could" be. Even without a title, a Reconstructed title in PA makes cars less valuable but a 63 880 Police car is a rarity. Here's some info on the 880s that make them interesting to collectors.

The engine is coded on these early style tags using the alphabet with corresponding numbers listed for the options.

Usually the engine is designated under the “AB” so it should be 2 numbers.

You only listed one number under the letter A is there another number under the B ?

However, each assembly plant used different codes and sequences. Can make it difficult to decipher.

Yes - the early cars have buildsheets but they look totally different than the the later style.
As stated during the earlier production years the fender tags were not standardized between plants. Where each code was placed on the fender tag varied by plant. Different plants placed the same code different places on the tag.

Some placed only one digit under the “A” and others used a 2 digit code under the “AB”. Though, Not all plants placed the code for engine under the "A".

In addition it was common practice that the standard engine was NOT coded on the tag. Only optional engines were. What letter was used to indicate the optional engine also varied from plant to plant.

So depending on the make and model, the engine may not be coded on the tag.

That being stated based on only having a digit under the “A” being 2, believe that indicates 727 automatic transmission.

To help you locate the buildsheet.

Here’s an example of the earlier style buildsheets. The codes are just alpha-numeric with limited sections having a header / info.
This is a 1963 buildsheet from the St. Louis plant. So again where & what codes were used would be specific to that plant and may or not be the same as other plants.

D15E2C7D-32B2-488E-9F3B-4377D0ABD274.jpeg

Thank you both, this does have a 727, but I haven’t checked it for vin numbers yet.

Thus data plate was inside drivers door on the A pillar.

I’m going to get inside this week and waste a few thousand calories trying to kick the doors open, I know the latch finger is released, but the striker wheels are frozen in place so dang bad.

I want to get under the back seat initially and go from there. Hell I might even use my 20 ton porta power and push these damn things open.

Does anybody know the decode values for “4” under “M” and “trim 564”

My car has the pearl white steering wheel and seat belt mounts. The previous owner says it was a CHP car so trying to see if that may be true.

Last edited:
Back