Can you ID this Imperial column?

Sedanman

Reaction score
I picked up an a body to restore and this was in the car. It is tilt and telesoping and the turn signal has a twist switch as well. I have no use for it and if you can use it make me an offer + shipping. It is complete from top to bottom

Picture 3842.jpg

Picture 3843.jpg

Picture 3844.jpg

Picture 3845.jpg

Picture 3846.jpg

Same basic wheel as my '67 but I don't know how many years it was used and that turn signal lever isn't familiar. That horn button doesn't appear to have the eagle either so may not necessarily be imperial.

Imperial Lebaron or Crown maybe? He was going to figure out how to make it work in an A body but it's way too big and would take too much fab work in my opinion

I'm going to guess '69 or later but it's just a guess.

I hadn't thought about that, when did the ignition move to the column on a Chrysler?

I hadn't thought about that, when did the ignition move to the column on a Chrysler?

70...that wheel is definitely not 69...looks like 68. The cruise stalk reminds me of the style my 73 had.

My guess is a 67 or 68 Chrysler. That's the early stalk mounted cruise control.

Beautiful interior shots! Don't see too many with the three speaker dash.
Oh, and power vents! :lol:

That thing is loaded!

I figured 69 and older since no ignition. I'm in need of a deep 727 pan and have no use for the column

make an offer + shipping. I will obviously have to ship the wheel seperate. Do you know how the center cap comes off so i can do this? If you want parts from it I will strip it out and junk whats left. I'll be happy it finds a home either way.

The padded horn button just pops off but try to do that carefully as the padding is delicate and it looks to be in good condition. Once that's off you can see how the wheel comes off. You'll need a puller of course.

67 & I'm pretty sure the 68 Imperial's still had the Auto Pilot on the dash not on the column.
01.jpg

Also the Imperial "Eagle" isn't on the center, but the New Yorker shield is there instead.

make an offer + shipping. I will obviously have to ship the wheel seperate. Do you know how the center cap comes off so i can do this? If you want parts from it I will strip it out and junk whats left. I'll be happy it finds a home either way.

Well ok, I'll start at $30 plus shipping to zip 12110 for the entire thing.

And like Matt said, the center cap snaps in like a hubcap. A thin slotted screwdriver will pry it out. Just make sure that you're under the metal plate that the pad is mounted to.

Then remove two phillips screws that hold the mount for the cap and unscrew the lock ring for the telescope mechanism.

The bolt for the wheel is beneath the lock ring.

The most important thing to remember is that this is a collapsible column, so no hammers or striking the shaft.

That will render the column useless.

PM me if you want to discuss further.

Thanks,

John

That's fine. I have never taken a hammer to a column in my life lol. But thanks for the heads up. I'll keep you posted. I will retract it to make it shorter for shipping.

That's fine. I have never taken a hammer to a column in my life lol. But thanks for the heads up. I'll keep you posted. I will retract it to make it shorter for shipping.

Cool. Keep me posted on total.

Thanks,

John

Back