carb replacement

texasjr

Reaction score
I think I read that the edelbrock 1406 would take the place of the thermoquad any opinions I have a 1974 440

ONLY with the appropriate adapter OR an intake that is designed for both a square-bore (AFB/AVS/4160 Holley, Street Demon) and a spreadbore (ThermoQuad, Quadrajet) carb base. The air flow of the 1406 would work on a stock 440, though. The Street Demon might work on a spreadbore manifold like came on your car when new, but read their literature on that, to make sure. The Street Demon is a clone of the ThermoQuad design, but will also bolt onto a square-bore intake manifold.

DO do your research, too!

Watch for sales!

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

ONLY with the appropriate adapter OR an intake that is designed for both a square-bore (AFB/AVS/4160 Holley, Street Demon) and a spreadbore (ThermoQuad, Quadrajet) carb base. The air flow of the 1406 would work on a stock 440, though. The Street Demon might work on a spreadbore manifold like came on your car when new, but read their literature on that, to make sure. The Street Demon is a clone of the ThermoQuad design, but will also bolt onto a square-bore intake manifold.

DO do your research, too!

Watch for sales!

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
thanks i have been doing some research and came to the same conclusion but wanted a second opinion

I installed an AVS 2 650 CFM on my 400 at the suggestion of another member. What an awesome carb. Its a spreadbore but, it fits and works the square bore intake I bought too. It is incredibly smooth.

I have an Edelbrock 1406. It consistently runs rich. Choke opens completely. Idle mixture screws, max vacuum, 1 turn out. I do not recommend the 1406

Hmm, I have an Edelbrock 1405 I'm itching to put in Gertrude, but not until I get better heads on that engine..... I like the prospect of a modest 4 barrel with manual choke. I rigged the venerable Stromberg WWC with a manual choke very easily, which in the cool season now makes for easy startups and warmups. I have a stock 4 barrel intake from a very old 383 which should do with conservative setup on the jets and metering....

Back