Carburetor and oil breather question

Zaggart

Reaction score
Sorry All, a couple rudimentary questions that I can't seem to find answers to anywhere else via Google, YouTube, or service manual.

- I have the 68 318 and would like to swap the air cleaner to a round style without the snorkel, but I see that there's a breather tube to the oil filler cap. If I remove this and replace it with a regular cap am I going to kill/overheat something? I see others with this setup and am not sure how they do it.

- According to the stamping I have a 2bbl Carter carburetor that needs work and I'd like (my mechanic) to replace with a new one (so I can tinker with and learn from the old one). I see that Weber and Edelbrock apparently still make these but can't find a direct replacement. Does anyone know where I can find an exact part number from them?

Thanks!

oil breather.jpg

Carter carburetor.jpg

You can just let it breath to the atmosphere. You may get a smell through the vents on a hard pull (reason they vented to air cleaner)
PCV system draws out oil smoke and vapors at high vacuum. When throttle position allows for no vacuum the breather takes over venting excess pressure and vapors.
I have no relation info on 318 2 bbl except remove and replace with 4 bbl

Sorry All, a couple rudimentary questions that I can't seem to find answers to anywhere else via Google, YouTube, or service manual.

- I have the 68 318 and would like to swap the air cleaner to a round style without the snorkel, but I see that there's a breather tube to the oil filler cap. If I remove this and replace it with a regular cap am I going to kill/overheat something? I see others with this setup and am not sure how they do it.

- According to the stamping I have a 2bbl Carter carburetor that needs work and I'd like (my mechanic) to replace with a new one (so I can tinker with and learn from the old one). I see that Weber and Edelbrock apparently still make these but can't find a direct replacement. Does anyone know where I can find an exact part number from them?

Thanks!

View attachment 510721

View attachment 510722
Those Carter carbs are good pieces. Have your mechanic rebuild that one.

Be wary of where new "Carter" 2 barrels meant for LA block Mopars are made! I've seen plenty chinesium knockoffs of those on ePay and other websites. They can be had for ~$80-90 usually, just like their knockoff Autolite 2 barrel copies.

Weber and Edelbrock ONLY do the AFB and AVS series of formerly-Carter carbs. Have NOT seen anything about them doing BBD 2bbls, or have I missed something.

The oriental knock-off carbs might be inexpensive compared to a new/reman USA-genuine carb, BUT I found a thread/article on the oriental QuadreJet which showed all of the things the noted carb builder had to do to it in order to get the air/fuel ratio correct AND make it work decently well. All things considered, less expensive to get the real deal and be done with it.

With the crankcase breather cap tube, the crankcase is still vented "to the atmosphere", just that the "atmosphere" is being sucked into the carb/engine. Seems like 1967 CAP vehicles started with the tube to the snorkle, with all Federal emissions and prior breather caps having the hogshair filter and out in the open air in '67?

The Carter BBD 2bbl is a very simple and easy to rebuild carb. A good design, too!

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I have had good success adding a fitting to the underside of the air cleaner base plate and connecting the breather tube there. This eliminates the probability of crankcase fumes causing a mess on the valve cover. Just an "it worked for me" idea, FWIW. Lindsay

Weber and Edelbrock ONLY do the AFB and AVS series of formerly-Carter carbs. Have NOT seen anything about them doing BBD 2bbls, or have I missed something.

The oriental knock-off carbs might be inexpensive compared to a new/reman USA-genuine carb, BUT I found a thread/article on the oriental QuadreJet which showed all of the things the noted carb builder had to do to it in order to get the air/fuel ratio correct AND make it work decently well. All things considered, less expensive to get the real deal and be done with it.

With the crankcase breather cap tube, the crankcase is still vented "to the atmosphere", just that the "atmosphere" is being sucked into the carb/engine. Seems like 1967 CAP vehicles started with the tube to the snorkle, with all Federal emissions and prior breather caps having the hogshair filter and out in the open air in '67?

The Carter BBD 2bbl is a very simple and easy to rebuild carb. A good design, too!

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I look forward to trying my BBD on Gertrude if I can get to my octogenarian rebuilder reasonably soon. Mind you, he did such a fine job on the Stromberg WWC I hired him for that I'm in no great hurry to get any new or RE-newed carburetor any time too soon, AND I have that Edelbrock 1405 winking at me every time I go into my shed. Hmmmmm...... Think I'll save the 1405 for a rebuilt engine.

Having confirmed that Gertrude runs on a 3:23 rear end explained why I experience more "take off ZOOT!" with the same old 383. Further improvements should produce interesting results.

Just using the 1968 breather and a new PCV with the oil cap attached to the breather got me another inch of vacuum at idle. That old motor, even with the fukt-over 516 heads now pulls 18 inches at 650 rpm, a full inch better than it got with the 1966 setup.

Thanks all! I was hoping to make it easier for my mechanic and have a new one ready since I have quite a list already for this spring. :D But if original is best I'll stick with it and have them rebuild. I was just going by Google info that Edelbrock and Weber had taken those over, I don't see any 2bbl ones on their website either unfortunately.

I have had good success adding a fitting to the underside of the air cleaner base plate and connecting the breather tube there. This eliminates the probability of crankcase fumes causing a mess on the valve cover. Just an "it worked for me" idea, FWIW. Lindsay
I do see two round punch-outs on the cleaner I'm looking at, had no idea I could use them for that. Thank you!

I stumbled on this older thread - have you gotten a new air cleaner yet?

If not, an unsilenced one from a slant 6 would look period-correct. (some 383 and 413HP share the top lid as shown below)
I have a few I could sell, and the lids are powdercoated.

I believe the 1-barrel base hole fits the 2-barrel as well.
We would just need to verify some dimensions on the base to make sure it didn't interfere with any linkage.
Below are the 2 colors/coatings I have, the base may/may not be coated also.
(FYI - I'll be away week of the 9th so won't be able to reply)

View attachment 529498View attachment 529499

I stumbled on this older thread - have you gotten a new air cleaner yet?

If not, an unsilenced one from a slant 6 would look period-correct. (some 383 and 413HP share the top lid as shown below)
I have a few I could sell, and the lids are powdercoated.

I believe the 1-barrel base hole fits the 2-barrel as well.
We would just need to verify some dimensions on the base to make sure it didn't interfere with any linkage.
Below are the 2 colors/coatings I have, the base may/may not be coated also.
(FYI - I'll be away week of the 9th so won't be able to reply)

View attachment 529498View attachment 529499
Hello! Nope, I gave up on that and chucked the new filter, etc. back in it's box on the rack of shame since I already cut on it. There isn't anything for one to sit on without touching stuff other than the very narrow neck of the throat so even my adapter is useless. Plus the indent around the bottom of the stock one to clear the rest of the hardware.

Unfortunately it's telling me your links "can't be found" but I'm interested. In the meantime I just sanded and repainted the existing one so it looks.. acceptable.

Here are the 2 coated lids I have, the first one has dust on it in this pic but it's very shiny.
2nd one has an antiqued finish somewhat like the wrinkle finish used in later years.
A similar air cleaner was used on the 273-HiPo on the 65 Barracuda Formula S (but it was chrome).

What we'd need to determine is if the 6cyl base (3rd pic) works for your car - I believe it will fit the carb neck, the concern is if it fits around the linkage, etc.
Then we need to figure out how to get more airflow between it and the top cover - the 4-barrel base used on the bigblocks has a bigger gap around the edge than the 6 cyl version.
But you have a 318-2V, so not as big a concern.
The 6cyl base actually fits 2 different diameters of air filter.

1652501946181.png

1652501905525.png

1652502172811.png

Last edited:
Here's the 6 cyl base vs the 4-barrel base:
1652502349640.png

Some holes/slots drilled around in this area would likely allow enough air to go thru.
1652502412548.png

Or could drill even larger holes if using this even-smaller 6cyl air filter. But I dunno if that filter flows enough for a 318.
1652502574264.png

For me, I would but smaller/more holes in with the larger filter.

Think about it - if the top lid give the look you'd want.
If so, we'll figure out some measurements if the base will fit, and then if the lid fits underhood.
IF so - we'll proceed from there.

Here are a few measurements from the existing one, 2nd pic is interior, 3rd is the exterior/underneath gap for the other hardware clearance.

PXL_20220521_222303228.jpg

PXL_20220521_222323257.jpg

PXL_20220521_222337094.jpg

I measured a little differently, measured the ID of the aircleaner where the carb throat is - it's approx 2.3" (diametrically ala the red marks).
1653425627222.png

Below, measuring depth from the red surface (the bottom of the baseplate) to the carb mounting surface (lime green) is 1.56" deep.
Measuring from the red surface to filter mounting surface (blue dot) is .28" deep
1653425754868.png

I'm 99% sure this will fit teh carb neck.
I think the question is how does the height of this cone (blue squiggle) differ from yours, or more importantly, even if it is different, how does it fit on your carb regarding linkage, etc?

1653426600558.png

Next question is on the air filter. IIRC CFM x 2 is roughly equal to hp supported.

Here's the specs on the smaller red filter shown above in post #12, for 68 Fury cyl. (fits on the magenta arc above)

1653426504432.png

Here's the spec for the larger filter used on 383HP and 413HP engines, used with a 4-barrel base (which gives a larger gap between the lid).
1653426934801.png
1653426909468.png

And here's 1980 Dodge Diplomat with 318.

View attachment 533268

1653427183732.png

Last edited:
Teh cool thing is the lid will fit either the 6cyl or the 2 different V8 filters. I looked on Summit and it shows a lot of carb neck sizes. Shows 2-5/16" (the 2.3" I referenced earlier) as common between 1 and 2-barrel - but also 2-5/8". If the cyl base doesn't fit, maybe there's an aftermarket chrome base that could be used.

I did a lot of typing and pasting, LMK what you think.
This is kinda the look I was thinking, but with your red VCs and one of my lids.

1653428244858.png

1653427792020.png

Back