Carlisle News

Every year since 1995 to present except 1997 (the year after I retired from the Army) and last year.

I think I missed one, 1st or 2nd year and thats it. Hell, I may not have missed any but I cant remember that far back. Ive been to so many spring, and fall Carlisles, they used to have a summer show, ive been to that and the Chrysler show.... I should get a lifetime Carlisle achievement pass

My first show was the Spring show in 1993. I was still in the Army.

My first Carlisle show was fall, 1983. We did the Englishtown show and Hershey shows then also..All three were big time shows and a week apart

I sure wish I could make it to Carlisle to meet everyone. My 68 Newport is in a few pieces right now. I also can't get the time off from work. Take as many pictures as possible. Have fun.

Anyone coming from the west is missing a great chance to drive on better and more scenic roads than the overpriced Pa. turnpike. Last couple of years I have taken route 22 to rt 34 south, 34 is a beautiful little road that passes though a couple of small towns up and down some hills. This year I think I'm trying 22 to rt 74. Yes the pike is faster but it is boring and expensive and I am stuck on it with no escape especially the 40 mile stretch from Somerset to Bedford, thanks but no thanks I am not a gerbil in a habitrail. Take a page from Will's book and stay off the Superhighway, you might just find a great ice cream stop or a bar with the best fish sandwich or burger and a cold beer, happy travel.

Almost anything is better than the PA TNPK. Mile after mile of Jersey barriers....

We come down Rt 81. Still not great, but at least you can get off it once in a while. For anyone coming that way from NYS, stop at Binghams for breakfast or lunch....

Anyone coming from the west is missing a great chance to drive on better and more scenic roads than the overpriced Pa. turnpike. Last couple of years I have taken route 22 to rt 34 south, 34 is a beautiful little road that passes though a couple of small towns up and down some hills. This year I think I'm trying 22 to rt 74. Yes the pike is faster but it is boring and expensive and I am stuck on it with no escape especially the 40 mile stretch from Somerset to Bedford, thanks but no thanks I am not a gerbil in a habitrail. Take a page from Will's book and stay off the Superhighway, you might just find a great ice cream stop or a bar with the best fish sandwich or burger and a cold beer, happy travel.
Great advice. I take the same approach locally. :thumbsup:

Yes thank god that everybody else improved on "America's first superhighway", not just copy it or interstate travel would be waaaaaay worse
Yea, the NYS Thruway is a bit boring. I've done a lot of time on it and it looks the same the entire length. It's still better than the PA TNPK.

I sure wish I could make it to Carlisle to meet everyone. My 68 Newport is in a few pieces right now. I also can't get the time off from work. Take as many pictures as possible. Have fun.
I don't know... It looks to me like you might be coming down with something that Friday and have to call in..

Yea, the NYS Thruway is a bit boring. I've done a lot of time on it and it looks the same the entire length. It's still better than the PA TNPK.

A bit? I used to ram back and forth across the thruway for years... talk about a snooze fest! The stretch from Albany to Buffalo has got to be most boring highway I've been on. Besides I-80 in Indiana, Illinois and Iowa.
As far as the PA Turnpike it depends on what section of the turnpike you are on. There are some very scenic parts, some boring ones, and some pretty exciting ones, like coming out of Norristown heading north on the northeast extension on a Friday @ 5 pm. Its like a drag race. Posted speed limit is 55 but I've been passed doing 70! You have to have eyes all over the place so you don't get run over!

And btw... when are those numbskulls that run the NYS Thruway, going to change the exits to a mileage based system like 99% of the rest of the country. Sheezus.... You can't tell where the hell you are by that archaic number system. You would think that they would at least put the mileage posts on the ticket they give you at the booth. It could be 50 miles between exit 28 and 28a. LOL.

On another note. They just upped the speed limit on RTE. 15 (Future 99) to 70mph! 'Bout time!

They put up a sign now, the place is going to be called "Desperate Times Brewery." They should change the name to Money Grubbing Millers.......they are multimillionaires and the state paid for part of the demolition of the factory grounds they bought so they could sell it for even more money.......I swear, this country sucks more each day.

Will: I am going to try to make it no matter what just to see you guys even though I am not going to have a horse in the race, so to speak. Besides, Jer still owes me that St Pauli Girl from 2 or 3 years ago. Hopefully you won't mind flapping with someone who is not really car guy guy right now.

Apparently you've never been up the ne extension or through the twin tunnels heading towards Tittsburgh. Or your just don't pay attention to the beauty in our state.
I've been all over the state and have seen all kinds of towns. I'd rather travel backroads, but sometimes it's just not feasible. I've driven for hours through the wilds section of the state, drilling boring's for new bridges, sometimes only seeing one car in hours of travel. We live in a very beautiful state.
Granted, most interstate travel can become monotonous, I don't care where you go, its just a fact. But we were just comparing interstates. All I know is that I'd rather travel the ones in PA than the ones in NY. I 80 is a very nice ride as well as 81.

Will: I am going to try to make it no matter what just to see you guys even though I am not going to have a horse in the race, so to speak. Besides, Jer still owes me that St Pauli Girl from 2 or 3 years ago. Hopefully you won't mind flapping with someone who is not really car guy guy right now.

Mark.....You'll always be a Mopar guy and can hang with us no matter if you have a car or not!

Yeah the interstates are fine. The north east extension is a road I have not done much on because it does not lead to home so I guess I am missing something.. There are great views in Pa just none from I 76.

Back