Carpets?

Moseman

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am at the point of acquiring carpet for my 72 Imperial restoration. I have three other Imperials that need carpet, so this will be the initial purchase. I am wondering if anyone has experience with SMS pre molded carpets. Do I go SMS or ACC? Any difference? Anythng that differentiates the two different manufacturers? Thanks in advance.

Well I've used ACC in the past on my 70 Polara vert, and I have some laying in the Servpro waiting for me to finish. Just this week I installed ACC in @ayilar 73 chrysler. It fit perfect with minimal trimming.

My pick is ACC...but I'm curious to hear others input as well.
20231117_140940.jpg
20231117_212821.jpg
20231117_213734.jpg

And a couple tips I've learned. First, use an old soldering iron to make holes and don't do the final trim on the edges until you've bolted in the seats.

I ordered the carpet that @71Polara383 just installed into Ming, my 1973 NYB, from Stock Interiors. That decision was based on posts by @Big_John in a number of threads in the past 5 years, as I trust his judgement. Here is the order detail:

1700416367742.png

I ordered the carpet that @71Polara383 just installed into Ming, my 1973 NYB, from Stock Interiors. That decision was based on posts by @Big_John in a number of threads in the past 5 years, as I trust his judgement. Here is the order detail:

View attachment 628434
From this I gather you didn't get the extra mass backing nor additional sound dampening. Could either you or @71Polara383 eloborate on why not?

My experience is that ACC is the only company making these old carpets. I'm convinced that every company selling carpet for vintage cars gets their carpet from ACC. I've been through this a half-dozen times or more. Every carpet I've ordered through other companies comes in an ACC box.

I tried to order directly from ACC for my 65 Six Window, and their price was MORE than going through any other seller. I guess ACC just wants other companies to handle the end-user side of things. I got that six-window carpet from some other jobber at a better price than the quote from ACC.

NOTE! My guess is that ACC has huge rolls of the various carpets, and also has floor pan presses to press the various carpets into the right shape for your vehicle. BUT, there may be variations in quality control. The carpet I got for my 65 NYer was NOT any easy fit, and nor was the set I got for my 63 Riviera. My point is this: warm up the piece and test the fit before installing it, so you can send it back if you're not happy with the fit.

Back