Carter AFB 4 Barrel Carburetor

RKC

Reaction score
I cleaned and installed a new kit in the Carter AFB 4 barrel carburetor off of my 1963 Imperial 413 engine. I adjusted the float according to the specifications but I must have it too high, as it is overloading with fuel. What is the correct float level and drop level and what do others use as a measuring device. I usually use a drill bit or ruler. Thanks!

I cleaned and installed a new kit in the Carter AFB 4 barrel carburetor off of my 1963 Imperial 413 engine. I adjusted the float according to the specifications but I must have it too high, as it is overloading with fuel. What is the correct float level and drop level and what do others use as a measuring device. I usually use a drill bit or ruler. Thanks!
Kit's usually come with instructions, specs, and float gauges. Your's didn't?

Love the AFB, so rock solid reliable... An easy verification for proper Float Level is to install the Needles & Floats, then hold the Carb Top UPside down and level. The Floats will assume the position that will be achieved when Fuel is pushing them up during operation. Normally, the Floats will sit more or less ...parallel... to the Carb top Cover.

Bruce

Did you changed the fuel pump by chance? Those carbs can't stand any more than 5# of pressure withoutbleedingover. I have seen mechanical pumps put out close to 10#.

Back