Cassette player restoration

A cassette recommendation
if you can find one.!!

AB8AE028-E340-4C59-987B-FC4BF9DCB453.jpeg

1F0A6D86-C609-4E6E-88A6-FB4DC7586786.jpeg

I just picked up the service manual today off ebay. Let me know if you need a copy. It was the same guy that I got the 75+ 8 track AM FM service manual from

service manual for the cassette player? Sure a copy would be helpful. I have some manuals on the radios. Let me know if you need a copy of one of these.

The Philip's book is 76 pages with many foldouts.

Is there a particular radio you need? I can copy that section.

The photofact pages are for 2 radios that appear to be the same. One is for 1971 (model 3501166)
The other is for 1972 (model 3501504) what year chrysler do you have? Mine is a 1971.

20221220_112351.jpg

20221220_112337.jpg

I have a cassette jukebox which I hopefully will get running this winter. Finding the belts might be difficult but hopefully some will have information. Make sure you clean up the old belt materials mine were sticky and dissolved every where in its path. Found denatured alcohol and many q-tips worked the best.

Found some belt packs of 50 (various sizes) on ebay. $6 incl shipping. Only need 2 belts. Purchased a package. Will remove and clean up the player. It does work except for the slipping belts.

I just picked up the service manual today off ebay. Let me know if you need a copy. It was the same guy that I got the 75+ 8 track AM FM service manual from
Wow, nice, any chance I can get a copy? I had one about 20 years ago, the big Phillips one.
service manual for the cassette player? Sure a copy would be helpful. I have some manuals on the radios. Let me know if you need a copy of one of these.
RW, would you have a Sams or Motorola? manual for the 3501502 or similar 72-73 Fury-Monaco-Polara AM/FM Stereo? That would be greatly appreciated!

I have the Photofact for 3501504 (72 chrysler) and 3501166 (71 imperial and chrysler) and 1971 (3501167, 3501165, 3501014, 3501059)

Just to add to this, if anyone has a factory radio with the 7 pin pigtail you can add an aux input to it fairly easily without having to use the cassette player and tape adapter.

I added one to my New Yorker years ago.

The factory plug has a pinout like this:
1 - 12 V + (red to cassette player)
2 - channel 1 IN (green)
3 - channel 2 IN (blue)
4 - ground all channels
5 - radio channel 2 OUT (white)
6 - radio channel 1 OUT (yellow)
7 - ground (- to cassette player)

So for cars without the cassette player the cap on the end bridges pins 2/5 and 3/6 together so that the radio works normally. You add a double pole switch in between those pins for your input. One way the radio works as normal, the other direction is your aux plug.

I made a crappy drawing of it but hopefully you get the idea.

When you take a headphone jack to headphone jack connector and cut it, typically a red and white wire will be each channel, and black or the fine shield wire will be the common. Hook the common to pin 4 of the connector, and red and white to each side of one end of the 2 pole switch. The center of switch is left and right channel in to the radio ( pins 2/3) and the other end is radio audio out (pins 5/6)

leave the power connections ( pins 1/7 empty)

Its been 10 years or more since i done this but i think I'm remembering it right

radio7pin.jpg

aux connector.jpg

Last edited:
This is original to my New Yorker. Only problem we had with it was the first one was stolen when the Chrysler was approx a month old. The replacement worked fine until the belts started slipping. Looking to have it serviced.

BTW the case should be the same color as the interior plastic. If its black, it's a replacement unit. (Unless the interior is black.) I assume quite a few were stolen back then.

If I am reading this correctly you're the original owner of your 1971 New Yorker? That's impressive! Did the replacement belts get your cassette player working properly? Do you have any pictures of the car?

The SAMS or the Philips manual? for the cassette?

this particular unit is a 72-73 Fury, Polara, Monaco but should fit 69-73 Fury and 71-73 Polara-Monaco
If I am reading this correctly you're the original owner of your 1971 New Yorker? That's impressive! Did the replacement belts get your cassette player working properly? Do you have any pictures of the car?
My father purchased the new yorker in Dec 1970. Been in the family since day one. Undergoing restoration now. Been on hold since i took on the restoration of a 1960 giulietta spider. Will get back to it this spring

Back