Cat whisker, fuzzies, whatever you call them installation

Reaction score
I got a set of cat whiskers and it appears that they are stapled in.
has anyone tried this or have a tried method?

1968 Plymouth Fury II four door sedan.

I remember dealing with staples when I did mine in my ‘68 Polara I need to check some of my old threads to remember. It seems I used the old ones to make a template and drilled pilot holes in the whiskers. I may have reused the staples or they came with new staples using the original holes then bent the staples on the backside. I am pretty sure I had all my windows out at the time. I need to check.

I got a set of cat whiskers and it appears that they are stapled in.
has anyone tried this or have a tried method?
Are you saying the cat whiskers you "got" are regarding your original parts or they are new re-pops?
Not sure how the 68 cat whiskers attach, but the new cat whiskers I received from Van's did not have any staples in them like original had in them.
Since the re-pops don't have the staples, what I did to make the new re-pops work was first, gently pull the staples out of the door card.
Cat wiskers1.jpg

Cat wiskers2.jpg

Besides the staples not being on the re-pops for the 71, there are other noticeable differences when seeing them side-by-side.
FWIW, I have heard some have riveted the new cat whiskers in place.
Cat wiskers7.jpg

Not wanting to rivet anything into my door panel in fear of wrecking it, and without any other way to attach the new whiskers securely with the staples or press-in clips seen in the picture above, after cleaning the aera of the door panel, I used the shoe repair adhesive, Shoe Goo. (an old trick recommended by @Xenon )
Cat wiskers6 .jpg

The new whiskers turned out to be a nice fit, and the Shoe Goo is still working fine.
Cat wiskers10.jpg

I will look into this more.
I believe that the only ones that are stapled are the ones that attach to the interior door panels.

More to come tomorrow.

I tossed the staples that came with my cat whiskers. I bought some 3/32nd X 1/4" black pop rivets and used them in place of the staples on my 65 Sport Fury Convertible years ago. I spaced the rivets about 4" apart and they worked great. You can't see them once finished since they embed into the cat whisker.

I tried to get the new outer cat whiskers installed and no joy.
In emailing back and forth with the supplier, they said that the manufacturer @QQE would be willing to make some if I sent my old ones to them.

This is after I was told that the parts that I had purchased were correct (which they weren’t).

I also have a line on another supplier.

More on this tomorrow after I make some calls.

What was your issue with installing them?
Edit: I just saw your post in the other thread where you've explained it. The ones I got for my Imp also had some misalignment but nothing as bad as yours.

Last edited:
What was your issue with installing them?
Edit: I just saw your post in the other thread where you've explained it. The ones I got for my Imp also had some misalignment but nothing as bad as yours.
Yes, misalignment and I believe that the parts were mis-tagged. The distances between the clips on the outside parts (the ones that attach to the inside of the door) were so different (and the number of clips is different - 8 vs. 9), that they MUST be for a different vehicle.

I tried to get this understood by the seller, but they just said that they were relaying what the manufacturer told them (@QQE ) that the part is correct.

I need to contact @QQE to give them the last chance to make this right, before I return the entire package for a refund. I’m going to try to do that today. Very frustrating…

Back