Charcoal vapor canister

tbm3fan

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I need to make sure I get something straight in my thinking. In 1973 Mopar made things easier for them by connecting the purge line of the vapor canister to a purge port on the carb of some engines. Called it the Venturi System as opposed to the 1972 Ported System on all engines.

Now if one changes out their canister or goes to a non-OEM carb without the purge port then they need to insert a purge valve which has three ports. The small one tees into the distributor advance hose for ported vacuum. The original and larger purge line needs to be teed into the PCV hose line. The valve has two large ports labeled CAN and TANK.

I'm trying to decided between CAN and TANK which way is in and which way is out. I'm making the assumption that with those markings the valve was originally between the gas tank and vapor canister. Only now it will be between the canister and intake. So I'm thinking out is the CAN port and it should have it's line tee into the PCV line for purging of fuel vapors. Am I right on this direction?

Essentially, there should be to 'input' lines. One is a vent for the gas tank, the other is a vent for the carb bowl. Then there is another connection, a vacuum (out or 'purge' maybe) that is used to basically draw the fuel vapors into the engine for combustion. Clear as Mud, right?

One other issue which got no answers 4 years ago. There is a 2 port temperature sensing valve in the radiator. I found the typical 3 port sensor in the intake and it is explained in the manual. However, I haven't found this one in the manual.

So what you see is what I got when I obtained the car. The one line runs all the way back to the vacuum amplifier while the other is capped. Can't be for looks so it must have been functional only where did the other vacuum line go to. It had to get a vacuum signal to possibly open the port to the line with the blue trace when the car reached operating temperature. Question is it manifold vacuum or ported vacuum?

Polara_engine_comp_004a.jpg

Essentially, there should be to 'input' lines. One is a vent for the gas tank, the other is a vent for the carb bowl. Then there is another connection, a vacuum (out or 'purge' maybe) that is used to basically draw the fuel vapors into the engine for combustion. Clear as Mud, right?
That describes the charcoal canister. I'm asking about putting in a typical stand alone purge valve to enable vapors to go straight to the PCV line and not into the carb since there is no source on the carb for it. So I want to get the inflow/outflow direction right rather than wrong.

Just dawned on me to use my vacuum tester on the purge valve. That told me which way is out.

Now who has a 360 engine with the two way thermal sensing valve on the radiator? Someone does as I don't have the only 360 engine.

Back