Choke spring replacement

Castle

Reaction score
Is it possible to find a replacement thermostatic coil spring for my 68 newport? Thanks!

FE81092E-C3B4-4D1E-84F3-A5AA3EE9FF79.png

Which engine and which Carb? There are several variants on E-Bay right now.

Dave

If the thermostat is too tight (with age, which is normal) when adjusted "to spec", just readjust it a notch leaner, maybe two, and see how it goes.

At 70 degree F ambient temp (that means carb, intake manifold, engine) the choke blade should just close. You can adjust it to do that without replacing the spring.

CBODY67

I have found them on Rock Auto. I got one thru them for a 1973 Thermoquad for $2.00 Worth a look.

Which engine and which Carb? There are several variants on E-Bay right now.

Dave
383 2 barrel bbd..... When I go to start the engine I pump the peddle once and the choke doesn't close.... It stays wide open... I have to remove the air cleaner and manually close it... It does have enough strength to hold it closed, once I help it. I've tried to clean the choke shaft to see if it's sticky or gummed up, but it doesn't help.

I needed one for a ‘79 Thermoquad, with heat assist, which was not available. My parts pal at Bumper to Bumper, found one for a 2bbl, which looked identical. All I had to do was swap out the choke rod. The car always started hard, lots of cranking. The old spring still had tension, but no where near the tension the new one had. Swapped it out and it started right up on two cranks being cold. It made all the difference. Maybe they lose tension over time from heat cycles?

I don’t know if there are differences in tension when new, or if the main assembly is the same, and just different choke rods?

Years ago, I found an elec assist choke kit that had THREE different rods to put with the thermostat, for which ever length you needed. Never could get that thing to work.

CBODY67

Back