WANTED chrysler 300 1970 tail light lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.
there it is, ok, its some kind of "filter"
The "clear" lense part will be the hard part to create
Will try to make one in whole red and then see how to do the backlight

Here are a few more pictures after I removed the lenses from the bezel and cleaned them up. The collimator is a separate piece along with the clear insert. Both are glued in, but could probably be separated with some solvent, I'd guess. There are also part numbers for the collimators and the red filters.

Collimator
3403139 79886 LH
3403138 79886 RH
Filter:
3403141 79886 LH and RH

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

The collimator is a lens, not a filter. A filter is an entirely different animal.

The light rays disperse in all directions from the bulb. Some is bounced back off the reflector. The collimator straightens the light rays so they are parallel and don't spread with distance. In other words, it makes the light from the backup light shine directly behind the car.

220px-Collimator2.svg.png

Exactly, it's that red divider that the parts book calls a filter, not the clear lens. Interestingly the parts book makes no mention of the collimator, yet there is a distinct part number on the piece. Thanks to this thread I learned something new.

I'll bet the red filter is to keep any light from leaking into the backup lens and illuminating it. If it does "leak", it would be red and not white.

A backup light that is lit up or any "white" light on the rear of the car is grounds for a cop to stop you while you are minding your own business and just going to work.... I know this to be true.

I spoke to the company today and we are going to try making the taillight lenses and the parking lenses. Starting with the parking lenses. The only problem will be the backup light "white" area. But we spoke about a solution so i hope we can fix that.

Last edited:
I spoke to the company today and we are going to try making the taillight lenses and the parking lenses. Starting with the parking lenses. The only problem will be the backup light "white" area. But we spoke about a solution so i hope we can fix that.
Great! $200 + shipping for the ones pictured, let me know.

Did you guys @bobfist.com have to get your grille for the 69 Chargers licensed through Chrysler to sell them here in the states (Classic Industries)? If so, how hard(long) and how expensive was the process to do that.

Since you have someone that reproduces plastic lenses, would they be able to reproduce the washer bottles for the 1970 C bodies (not Imperials though)? Those plastic bottles have the Chrysler pentastar logo on them and attendant lettering, so it makes reproducing them more difficult to avoid licensing.

I checked with Bob Baker and he said he didn't have a supplier with the needed equipment to make those bottles and the licensing aspect is also an issue that makes things difficult. I just wasn't sure how hard Chrysler pursues companies out of the country for licensing, and whether you folks would want to take on such a project?

Every owner of these cars needs one of them since the plastics deteriorate due to engine heat over time and become very brittle and break just hardly pressing on them by accident. NOS ones go for $600 on Ebay, so there is definitely a market for them. Any insight would be welcome.

Also, I have a friend in Australia who make reproduction lenses that are probably even better than the original NOS ones that Chrysler supplied. If you run into trouble with the back up light lens, maybe he could help out. He is currently making the backup light lens for the 1972-3 Imperials for me and a friend of mine. His only downside is that it takes some time to do the reproductions by him. But I could check if interested.

I also sent you a personal message.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Did you guys @bobfist.com have to get your grille for the 69 Chargers licensed through Chrysler to sell them here in the states (Classic Industries)? If so, how hard(long) and how expensive was the process to do that.

Since you have someone that reproduces plastic lenses, would they be able to reproduce the washer bottles for the 1970 C bodies (not Imperials though)? Those plastic bottles have the Chrysler pentastar logo on them and attendant lettering, so it makes reproducing them more difficult to avoid licensing.

I checked with Bob Baker and he said he didn't have a supplier with the needed equipment to make those bottles and the licensing aspect is also an issue that makes things difficult. I just wasn't sure how hard Chrysler pursues companies out of the country for licensing, and whether you folks would want to take on such a project?

Every owner of these cars needs one of them since the plastics deteriorate due to engine heat over time and become very brittle and break just hardly pressing on them by accident. NOS ones go for $600 on Ebay, so there is definitely a market for them. Any insight would be welcome.

Also, I have a friend in Australia who make reproduction lenses that are probably even better than the original NOS ones that Chrysler supplied. If you run into trouble with the back up light lens, maybe he could help out. He is currently making the backup light lens for the 1972-3 Imperials for me and a friend of mine. His only downside is that it takes some time to do the reproductions by him. But I could check if interested.

I also sent you a personal message.

Thanks!
Steve, I worked with DeSoto George for almost three years to get the '62 300 medallions repopped. His '61 chrysler wagon and Marker lenses (in Amber) found their way onto the Batwagon. I can not say enough positive thingz about the quality of his work, just fantastic. And from what I've heard he livez with a generator for all his Power needz somewhere in the out back north of Brisbaine?, Jer

I don't have any experience with plastics, but having been in enough plastic manufacturers, I can tell you the tail lights and the washer bottles use quite different manufacturing processes.

I believe the lights are done by injection molding. Pellets of plastic are melted and injected into dies. The washer bottles look like they are blow molded. A hot plastic piece (looks like a test tube) is inserted into a mold and air is injected to blow it up to fit the inside of the mold.

Very few plastic places do both... In fact, one of my customers told me they were the only large plant that did both styles "in house".

It all comes down to tooling cost... Gotta amortize that cost over enough customers to make it worthwhile.

Steve, I worked with DeSoto George for almost three years to get the '62 300 medallions repopped

Cloisonne type emblems? If so, they probably originally came out of our emblem shop back in '62.

Steve, I worked with DeSoto George for almost three years to get the '62 300 medallions repopped. His '61 chrysler wagon and Marker lenses (in Amber) found their way onto the Batwagon. I can not say enough positive thingz about the quality of his work, just fantastic. And from what I've heard he livez with a generator for all his Power needz somewhere in the out back north of Brisbaine?, Jer

Yes, Jer, there is no doubt about his quality. I have communicated with him primarily by email but I also understand that his electricity is self-generated. I am not sure where he lives, as everything I send to him is to a P.O Box in Tewantin, Australia. But he lives on a really large parcel of property - many, many acres. He loves the formal station wagons and posts on this site from time to time. If I had as much property as he does, I would be in real trouble because it would be littered with hundreds of desolate C bodies, knowing me! Sometimes restrictions are a good thing!

Yes would be great if you could talk t your friend how he would try too reproduce them
Any sugg are welome.
The charger 69 grille was way harder to do soo i guess we can figure this out!

Here is the grilles we made

r1nek1.jpg

Yes, Jer, there is no doubt about his quality. I have communicated with him primarily by email but I also understand that his electricity is self-generated. I am not sure where he lives, as everything I send to him is to a P.O Box in Tewantin, Australia. But he lives on a really large parcel of property - many, many acres. He loves the formal station wagons and posts on this site from time to time. If I had as much property as he does, I would be in real trouble because it would be littered with hundreds of desolate C bodies, knowing me! Sometimes restrictions are a good thing!
By phone from Michigan I calculated 18 hourz + one day difference when I wanted to talk directly with George without disturbing his slumber, lol. I guess you could subtract 3 hourz from that calculation? I had plans on meeting and shaking handz with him a few years back. I think the last time he came over to our side of the planet was for the joint East+West Meet that Larry J. hosted in Carmel? After doing the math for that 2 week + trip with the Batwagon That I know would have been overloaded with Napa and Paso Robles finest Cabernet's for the return trip home I awoke from the fantasy and and canceled our reservations. In retrospect I've often wondered about what could have been IF? Wife and I have done those 2 week junkets ah few times and theirs no way to keep it under 5 digits when you do it like that. Yes I concur that some times restrictions are a good thing, BOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back