Chrysler seats in a Plymouth

MONC440

Reaction score
Ok I can't get 70 seat covers for my car unless I go to a custom upholstery shop. Legendary has 68 Newport 300 seat covers that are close enough to my color but I don't know if they would stretch over my seats.

Anyone know how close 68 and 70 buckets and rear seats are?

Thanks

I'd say they're darn close, and could likely be made to work. That is alot to spend on "incorrect" seat covers though, but may be on par with custom ones? Legendary has the patterns for 1970 Chrysler buckets, those would be a closer match physically than the '68's. Are yours the low backs with headrests?

Yes mine a low backs with the head rest. I was also looking at the 68 Sport Fury and 69 Sport Fury. I really like the pattern and 2 tone color of my seats and would love to have them redone. The problem is we had 3 upholstery shops in my area before covid and only 1 survived and that one says they are almost a year out and said it would be at least 2K to do just the seats.

They sure sound busy, guess you're stuck doing it yourself if you want it done relatively soon. Do you have any pictures of what yours look like, and the ones you're thinking of going with?

Just a few months ago I spoke with probably 5 different shops. It think the closest was 45 minutes away. I'm looking at close to $2K from any of them except the first one I talked to that told me $4k.

OK here are my 70 Sport Fury seats, Dark Green with Lt Green metallic inserts. I like the color and patter but can't find them offered anywhere.

70 SF front seat.jpg

70 SF rear seat.jpg

Here are the 68 300/Newport seats offered by Legendary. They are almost the same pattern as mine but they only offer them in dark green with green inserts. Price is just under $1700 for the set. These would be my first choice if they fit my seats.

LAI 68 300.jpg

LAI 68 300 rear.jpg

Last edited:
Now here are the 68 SF seats offered by legendary. The pattern is different but they do come in the same color as mine dark green and light green metallic. these would be my second choice if they fit my seats. These come in at just under $1300 for the set. They also have the 69 SF with a different pattern and only in solid dark green. This would be my 3rd choice.

LAI SF front.jpg

LAI SF rear.jpg

Last edited:
Since you're going to have to cut your own foam, I think any of those would work on the buckets. I believe the rear seat frame got a bit wider for the fuselages in '69, so '69 or '70 covers may be better. Call legendary and let them know what you have and what you're looking for, they'll be able to confirm what will work for you.

They are almost the same pattern as mine but they only offer them in dark green with green inserts
Legendary will make them in different color combos than they list. I've known a couple guys that have done that.

I believe it's a reasonable upcharge, and I wouldn't be surprised if you might wait a little longer.

Bottom line is to call them... They often have stuff "in the works" or at least not listed in their catalog.

I'm doing almost exactly what you are except I have a 69. I too wanted the 69 sport fury covers but no dice. Then I got a hold of 68 buckets and saw those exact 68 300/Newport covers and ordered them as well as 68 bucket foam. Got the 68 rear covers too and....they dont fit my 69. Too narrow. 68 Armrests were wider and the seat is therefore shorter. Top and bottom. probably 5-6 inches on the bottom and 4" shorter on the top. I'm looking for someone to sew new ones and use the inserts or whatever they can. I'm a little nauseous. In my defense I was allot younger and more stupid when I initially put in the order!

I don't know how the 68 bucket covers would work on a 69 frame.

I suppose I could use this as an excuse to use 68 rear seats making room for tubbing the wheel wells :)

Oh, right when I called legendary about confirming the width difference and inquiring about similar 68 style for 69 they had no info. Just what's in the catalogue. Seemed strange pulling an Autozone on me. . Maybe I caught them on a bad day. I think they said orders placed today are coming in FEB.

I'm doing almost exactly what you are except I have a 69. I too wanted the 69 sport fury covers but no dice. Then I got a hold of 68 buckets and saw those exact 68 300/Newport covers and ordered them as well as 68 bucket foam. Got the 68 rear covers too and....they dont fit my 69. Too narrow. 68 Armrests were wider and the seat is therefore shorter. Top and bottom. probably 5-6 inches on the bottom and 4" shorter on the top. I'm looking for someone to sew new ones and use the inserts or whatever they can. I'm a little nauseous. In my defense I was allot younger and more stupid when I initially put in the order!

I don't know how the 68 bucket covers would work on a 69 frame.

I suppose I could use this as an excuse to use 68 rear seats making room for tubbing the wheel wells :)

Oh, right when I called legendary about confirming the width difference and inquiring about similar 68 style for 69 they had no info. Just what's in the catalogue. Seemed strange pulling an Autozone on me. . Maybe I caught them on a bad day. I think they said orders placed today are coming in FEB.

That's good to know. Thanks!

Back