Chrysler steering column

shenango

Reaction score
I have a complete 1970 Chrysler steering column and would like to use the main shaft in my 66 Belvedere. Can anyone tell me if the shaft is interchangeable between the 2 cars.
Thanks Jerry

No.

The '70 column is a collapsible column, meaning it telescopes down when you crash. The '66 is solid with no collapsing for one thing. The '70 column is locking when the key is removed, so the hardware for that is affixed to the shaft too.

Federal safety mandate for collapsible columns starting with 1968 cars.

Thank you, John. I was afraid that would be the case. I guess my only recourse is to cut my manual shaft to fit the new power steering. I appreciate your input.
Jerry

I was wondering if he could retrofit a '68 column, for safety.
Cutting a steering column doesn't sound like a good idea.

My '67 Dodge service manual says that the safey column was introduced in '67. My '67 Monaco does appear to have the safety column (a section of the outer column housing is not a solid tube but is instead a mesh or lattice).

I was wondering if he could retrofit a '68 column, for safety.
Cutting a steering column doesn't sound like a good idea.
Thank you for your concern. I have read many posts on the A and B forums and shortening the main shaft when going from manual to power steering is pretty common. When I found the 70 Chrysler column I was hoping to be able to use the shaft in it. Nothing seems to be straight forward when working on these old cars but it is fun keeping them road worthy.
Thank you, Jerry

Probably technically possible but not very practical for what I am trying to do. The car is not at my home currently but when I get it back I am going to compare the 66 shaft to the 70 shaft and see what the main difference are.

The swap is complete and working. Using the complete 1970 column would have required some dash mods as well as ignition mods to work properly. The main shaft in the 70 was not at all compatible with my 66 column so all I was able to use was the coupler that was correct for the power steering gear.
I measured the manual box from center line to end of input shaft and did the same on the power steering box and there was a 2 1/2" difference. The coupler has +/- 3/8" adjustment and the 66 column has a +/- 1" adjustment.
I locked the pin on the 66 main shaft in my drill press vise and leveled the shaft on my work bench. Based on where my column was mounted under the dash, I decided to shorten the shaft by 3". I center punched the new pin location and drilled a pilot hole. The pin measured .332 and the closest drill bit I had was .328. After drilling I put a flat on the shaft on both sides of the hole to match the contour of the original pin location. After heating the shaft with a heat gun, the pin tapped in with a little persuasion.
It all went back together fairly easily and I now have power steering in the Belvedere.
Thank you to all that responded to my post and offered their suggestions.
Jerry

Back