Clean up!

AlVal74

Reaction score
Hello all!! It's been awhile since I've posted (neck surgery stalled my restore). But I'm back at it. So, I pulled my entire dash out and I'm looking for suggestions on how to clean up the individual parts on the dash before reinstall. Murray Park sent me an awesome dash pad and I want to spray the other metal pieces to match. But seems like there's quite a bit of rust and all around grime on the parts. I don't want to scratch anything up I'm not painting. Will scotch Brite screw anything up? What can I soak the parts in to loosen up the rust without destroying them?? TIA.

20230325_151400.jpg

20230325_151355.jpg

20230325_150629.jpg

Scotchbrite is just like sandpaper, it will screw things up. So don't rub it on anything you don’t want scratched. Including chrome and aluminum.

grime? Warm soapy water cleans that pretty well, try simple green if it won’t clean up With soap.

evaporust works well removing rust, and it wont harm other metals like aluminum. But clean the parts first. Dirt grease and oil are hard on the evaporust.

I use evaporust for the rusty parts and then some APC, a toothbrush and my McCollough steam cleaner to destroy the grime.

Thanks guys!! What about things like switches, the heater swtches and the original stereo? Stuff like that

Thanks guys!! What about things like switches, the heater swtches and the original stereo? Stuff like that
Use your Scotch Brite on the spade terminals to clean off any corrosion. I like to assemble the electrical connections with a product called No-Ox. It is a electrically conductive paste that prevents corrosion. The female terminals are difficult to shine up so I stick them in my blast cabinet and hit them quick, look like new when done.

Mike

Back