Cleaning a cloth headliner

chry73luv

Reaction score
I have a 73 Newport and was thinking about cleaning the off white woven fabric headliner . It is original to the car and in excellent condition. What would you use that would be safe and not pose any problems to the material? I would hate to screw it up.

Headliners can be tough to do, especially in an older car.

I would use a mild upholstery cleaner and spray directly on the towel and work at it that way. A foam type cleaner (sprayed on the rag) might be the way to go because that won't over-saturate the material.

There's a ton of detailing videos on YouTube that show different products and methods. I'd stay away from any of the power brushes the pros might show you using.

As I always recommend, start with mildest products and methods first.

don't put too much pressure on the fabric. it gets brittle and the seams could split.

Gentle, gentle on the cleaning. I would like to find a scrap car, and try different methods to see what is safe and works.
On tux the white head liner is looking dirty, I was starting gently, but the tiny threads are the weak link. I stopped before creating a bigger problem.
What it looks like on my top is that some areas do not have the insulation behind giving a darker appearance. One option I have thought of is remove side trim completely mask off interior and spray with SEM Super white.
I will be looking into a good cleaning process more this winter. Or live with it.
In the picture you can see the darker and lighter, at first I thought it was dirt, but the lighter areas have insulation padding behind the material. Maybe it was never installed or it has turned to dust, I would like to add insulation as the roof radiates so much heat into cabin.

C49090C2-DC81-4019-A9CA-25322BEF51E3.jpeg

56318E5B-046F-426F-A0EA-F86EE28E6E03.jpeg

F8629639-7378-432D-B0D9-0A864D121C12.jpeg

38858429-F219-4E3D-8DB5-27281443B26D.jpeg

Last edited:
Choosing which chemicals to clean the ceiling in the car, you need to immediately filter out low-efficiency products and aggressive solvents that can spoil the upholstery and lead to its detachment from the substrate. Some substances are undesirable to use because of their toxicity. Most experts advise using eco-friendly products that do not harm the human mucosa. When it comes to cleaning the exterior of the car, I use sparklewash.com, as I am sure that they will cope with any dirt. Before cleaning the ceiling upholstery in the car, you must prepare the interior.

Last edited:
I cleaned it with 75% water and 25% vinegar. Man it looks great until I moved the visor and there was a huge hole in the headliner . I really haven't moved the visors since I brought the car home... Now I guess i will be replacing the headliner. but if any one wants to know how to clean their headliner, vinegar and water a soft tire cleaning brush and a few very soft cloths work great! Just don't spray it heavy, litely spray.

Follow. Please let us know what works.
I cleaned it with 75% water and 25% vinegar. Man it looks great until I moved the visor and there was a huge hole in the headliner . I really haven't moved the visors since I brought the car home... Now I guess i will be replacing the headliner. but if any one wants to know how to clean their headliner, vinegar and water a soft tire cleaning brush and a few very soft cloths work great! Just don't spray it heavy, litely spray.

Back