Condensation problems STILL!

So, I now realize this concrete pad is problematic, as well the fact that the trunk is above the lawn. I’m gonna move the car, put down a tarp, and then move the car onto the tarp.

View attachment 632987

View attachment 632988
I really think that will help. It's a good start. May I recommend the Silver 11x19 tarp and a package or two of tent stakes from Harbor Freight. Yeah, if it's been on-going, then no one except you has agonized over it. Well, sounds like the buck stops here, with you!

Hopefully this will stop moisture from sweating up through the concrete and into the car.

IMG_3131.jpeg

IMG_3132.jpeg

If thats where you are parking for the season maybe get one of the car bags and fill it with the desiccant packs. Like the bag I sent a link to in the article about keeping car dry.

If thats where you are parking for the season maybe get one of the car bags and fill it with the desiccant packs. Like the bag I sent a link to in the article about keeping car dry.
I have a Damprid box inside the cabin and another in the trunk . . .

I was just doing some internet searching on some terms and phrases, and this idea or concept just doesn't make sense: It is said over and over and over again that you want a "breathable car cover" so the water that's trapped inside or under it to escape. Yet what is never explained is - how does water get trapped under it if it's an actual impermeable membrane - like a sheet of 6-mil poly vapor barrier? Or all-weather car covers that claim to be water proof - presumably they are not "breathable".

Your roof is not "breathable" - in the sense that water can pass through it. Your house would be a wreck in no time if your roof / shingles were "breathable". Same for your walls, with vapor barrier just behind the drywall. Cars are not made of wood. What's the point of breath-ability?

I came across one explanation - you can get moisture trapped under an impermeable cover from the ground (or pavement or what-ever) under the car. To which I say - ok, put a vapor barrier sheet under the car to solve that.

So what's wrong with throwing a few thick moving blankets on the car from bumper to bumper, then covering with a poly vapor barrier? The poly is clear, you can see right through it, you'll see if the blanket is getting wet or if condensation is forming under the poly.

I keep coming back to the idea that if you can wrap the car air-tight, vapor-proof bag, load the inside with descicant, that is best vs exposing the car to constant ambient air with uncontrollable huge swings of humidity and temp changes.

I could probably do that, although the inside of the car cover is pretty wet and dirty right now, and putting it back on the car risks scratching the paint . . .
obviously the culprit is the cover itself keeping moisture in the car. this can't be that complicated. keep us up to speed on your findings.

I was just doing some internet searching on some terms and phrases, and this idea or concept just doesn't make sense: It is said over and over and over again that you want a "breathable car cover" so the water that's trapped inside or under it to escape. Yet what is never explained is - how does water get trapped under it if it's an actual impermeable membrane - like a sheet of 6-mil poly vapor barrier? Or all-weather car covers that claim to be water proof - presumably they are not "breathable".

Your roof is not "breathable" - in the sense that water can pass through it. Your house would be a wreck in no time if your roof / shingles were "breathable". Same for your walls, with vapor barrier just behind the drywall. Cars are not made of wood. What's the point of breath-ability?

I came across one explanation - you can get moisture trapped under an impermeable cover from the ground (or pavement or what-ever) under the car. To which I say - ok, put a vapor barrier sheet under the car to solve that.

So what's wrong with throwing a few thick moving blankets on the car from bumper to bumper, then covering with a poly vapor barrier? The poly is clear, you can see right through it, you'll see if the blanket is getting wet or if condensation is forming under the poly.

I keep coming back to the idea that if you can wrap the car air-tight, vapor-proof bag, load the inside with descicant, that is best vs exposing the car to constant ambient air with uncontrollable huge swings of humidity and temp changes.
I appreciate your thoughtfulness. At the moment, I have the moisture problem mostly under control. It's supposed to be a very mild winter, so I'm planning to drive the car as soon as possible, whenever it's not snow/ice outside. Keep her moving, keep things lubed, get things warmed up and dried out. That's my plan. That will give me all of the coming spring, summer and fall to come up with a plan for next winter. It also gives me a about 9 months to see why this car doesn't want to breathe.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's input and suggestions. Thank you!

Look at gunsafe dehumidifiers. I have a big metal cage thing that has silica in it. The "pearls" change color from blue to clear and all you have to do is throw it in the oven and its good to go again. I remember I had some issues with a cover too when my car was parked outside, i got tons of mold on the headliner amd such...

There must be a large amount of water trapped in your car. Can you get a reading on the air humidity level? In my shop right now my meter is showing 29%, dry. Even at that dry level if I parked a car with wet carpet and closed it up, it would be like a green house with moisture condensing on cold surface, recycling round and round until the moisture is removed. Can you get your car into a dry garage for a few day and run a dehumidifier with all doors and windows open? When I have had to park on dirt floor, I will lay down vapour barrier larger than the foot print of car. I have also covered vapour barrier with gravel if its a long term parking spot.
My Polara is presently parked in an unheated equestrian arena with other farm implements on a a surface that is a mixture of sand and sawdust and then oiled with vegtable oil and I am not experiencing any moisture what so ever. All equestrian arenas use vegtable oil rather than engine oil for reasons of smell. The oil is to keep the dust down.
I'm wondering if all the moisture is being trapped by a car cover that is all the way to the ground and the black car is somehow wicking up the moisture from the concrete.
I personally would buy 3 or 4 sheets of 3/4 chip board to cover the concrete with a piece of vapor barrier on top and make sure the top is not sagging to the ground, you want the air to circulate around the car. What color is the car cover?
I would also keep every moisture wicking silica packet I get with electronics , food, whatever and place them in the car all over the place like the Bounce sheets.
Boydsdodge, you've used storge place space before, how did that work out for you? Was it heated or not?

Merry Christmas everyone!

Last edited:
Back